Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

What is Normal?

Post a reply
185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:22 am
inkwell says...

If we're talking about cultural norms, I do remember discussing how to determine one in my anthro class. It had something to do with the severity of a people's reaction to an action.

Things that are closer to a norm, draw less surprise, anger, etc. Not sure what the quantitative, calculated approach to this is.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:48 pm
Rubz says...

Well just like they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder I think that the definition of "normal" depends on who you're asking. Go to a tribe in Africa and a woman with a foot long neck is normal, better than normal even, but go to the US and that most certainly is not. Go to Europe and a couple kissing in the street is normal, but go to the middle east and its greatly frowned upon and considered distasteful. It depends on the context, but if you as me there is definitely no concrete definition of "normal"!
"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for mankind."
--Horace Mann

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:01 am
ChocolateMoonLight says...

What is normal? There is no definite discussion of normal. Nobody is normal and everybody is normal. (This is getting a bit confusing...)
So let's start with the meaning of the word in question: Normal-

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... l?q=normal

Once we know the meaning; it clearly says that normal is something that is ordinary, something that people expect. So, here we have it, We consider anyone normal when we thinks it's ordinary and something that we expected. But then again what is ordinary? This is never going to end, is it? We find something but what is it then? We go on another quest to find that out because this a never ending circle or meaning and expectations. We find something but it doesn't coincide with what we expect so we discard and move on to something else.

This is what normal is; it's all about what you want it to be or what you need it to be...
Spoiler! :
Checkout the different shades of sunset...
topic84708.html

Need a review??? Click here! http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic87443.html#p913699%20URL%20Review%20Bar...

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:41 pm
View Likes
shadowraiki says...

Normal is what society deems acceptable and the path that people should take. My dollar bill.
If words are just letters put together, why do we decide on what they mean?

I step away from the grammar to review the story.

I don't do poetry.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:46 am
Matthew says...

The adjective:
Conforming to the common standard or type. Usual, regular, and natural.
Psychologically:
Approximately average in any psychological trait, in intelligence, personality, or emotion.
Biologically or medically:
Free from infection or any disease that causes malfunction, or malformation. Of natural occurrence.

:D

I thought I would restate what has been said because the dictionary seems to give the best definition.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they face one another, drew their swords and shot each other!

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:45 am
Cyb3rBlade says...

Normal can't be calculated by the surroundings. That's an average.
What I am about to say will contradict what I said in my last post. I have kept on living, seeing and thinking since then and I have changed my mind. You will probably disagree with me, but here it goes.
Normal is what we had in Eden. Everything was perfect. What made it perfect was not what was in the garden, but who was in the garden. Adam and Eve had nothing to be ashamed of before God; no vile sin, no dark secrets. There were no unkept promises, no broken families, no lost loved ones. Then the Serpent slithered in, and one bite turned the whole world upside-down. We had the knowledge of good and evil, and ever since, every human has had a desire to be king of their own lives, to do whatever they wanted regardless of the hurt it would bring to them and others.
The funny thing about being upside-down is that you forget the right side up. When you see someone walking on the floor instead of the ceiling, you think 'Hey, what's his problem?'. That's why we're trying to define normal based on our surroundings.
Well there it is.In case you're wondering, I'm on the wall, trying to get back on the floor and stay right side up.
I write for my King.

[Warning! User seldom appears on YWS!]