~*~

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 pm
View Likes
Razcoon says...

jasminebells wrote:No.

Shun the non-believer. (Shuuun!)
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

Reviews: 3
Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:28 pm
feodora says...

Kafka makes some very good points there, but I dare say we're a lot more open to things we haven't actually seen proof of than that shaman. ^^

By the age of the universe (and what we claim it is), it is improbable that our little planet should be the only one across those trillions of light years that was exactly in the region fit for supporting life. Alright, I agree, the margin is positively minute, but saying it is absolutely impossible would just the slightest bit egoistic. I mean, give those poor things a sporting chance! xD

It could also be a bit weird to claim that we're the most advanced race in the universe. We just don't know enough about it to claim anything of the kind. Perhaps sentient races are rare in our corner of the universe - I mean, the Earth's part of a tiny solar system on the fringes of the Orion arm of the massive Milky Way - and then you realize the Milky Way's a rather ordinary sort of galaxy. Among billions of others. And how many planets is that? Our importance decreases, true, but that doesn't mean we haven't got friends. :D

Lava also has a good point. As in, the complexity of an organism increases with the amount of time it is given. And the temperature. What if our Earth had been a few hundred kilometers closer to the sun, or a few hundred kilometers further away? We would a looked a little different over time. It's tough for me to say, but maybe the complexity and evolutionary speed of an organism can change with its surroundings - and not just physically, but mentally. Like how most of us are a great deal more okay with doing three things at a time (read: eating dinner, doing homework, stalking people on Facebook all at once) than our parents are.

And it isn't exactly improbable that, you know, an organism that's evolved into the intellectual capacity required to create technology that could let them spy on their primitive little neighbors isn't spying on us right now. We don't know if they're tapping into the internet and filing away all the stuff they see, silently commenting on what we're doing. We don't know if they're still cautious, or merely curious, or even amazed that other planets actually have life on them. :D

TL;DR?
So, er, yeah, they exist.
They just haven't said "hi" yet.

(Ohmai, first day and I actually found a debate forum I could post something on. *feels proud* You guys are awesome~)
Reviews for cookies! You know you want one. (Whether it's cookies or reviews you want is up to you.) ^^

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:40 pm
Napier says...

I think they are almost certainly aliens out there, but I doubt they've ever visited our planet.
If evolution is anything to go by (which it probably is) the intelligent species in the universe are probably on the same level as us in the evolutionary chain, which is to say, yes, they're dominant species, but it's unlikely that they've created the means to travel to other planets, such as ours.
But I digress.
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:48 pm
Confictura says...

Let's forget about "have they been here" and ask a new question, "would we want them?'"

If they've managed to locate and travel to our World, then it's almost GUARANTEED that they're more advanced than us, which is almost a guarantee that they've got (For the sake of paranoia) better weapons.

Now look at the human species... We're a bickering, smelly, self-destructive race, do you really want other intelligent life to see us in the shape that we're in? And if they did, do you really think their reaction is going to be "let's be friends"?

I do wish for there to be UFO's (which there are, by the way. I fail to identify flying objects all the time :P ) but I just don't think that we as a species can handle them, yet.
Help, help! I'm being repressed!

248 Reviews

Reviews: 248
Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:39 pm
View Likes
murtuza says...

I think it's possible that there would be UFO's hovering around us here and there. Maybe even invisible ones too! xD

But seriously, Extraterrestrials living on other planets can quite possibly exist. It was just until recently that NASA found a planet with qualities akin to Earth; an Earth-II if you may. They say that the surface is quite balmy in comparison to ours but can definitely support life-forms. It's a couple of 100 or so light-years away from earth I believe they've said and to reach that place would take a space shuttle 2 million years to reach.

There are numerous planets in the Universe. So it would be quite wrong to believe that we are the only planet with existing life-forms. How can we ascertain that the other solar systems don't have planets that support life? Our solar system has earth. And we are living, are we not? So if it's possible for us, it's possible for others as well.

I only wish if at all Extraterrestrials exist that some of them be as cool as the Transformers!

'Autobots, roll out!'

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:53 am
noninjaspresent says...

There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on Earth. In terms, we haven't even monitored and actively investigate a square millimetre worth of grains of sand, I don't deny that there is bound to be at least something extremely primitive (single cell primitive) out there.

I'm not the only one who's seen some weird stuff not just in the sky. I don't doubt that the governments have better technology than they're letting on, yet I don't doubt that not everything weird in the sky isn't man-made or anything that we are just about definite about such as the sun and asteroids.

Try imagining an alien substance nothing like what we have on Earth. Something tat we don't have words for. No goey, no slimey, no hard, no soft. Not dirt, not water, not wax, not flesh. Does alien life even have to have cells and blood and stuff like that. I agree with Kafka. There are just some things out there that we can't even imagine. You can't identify something that you have no knowledge or experience of.

Try imagining being a caveman seeing real life fire on Earth for the first time. You may think you can, but unless you have experienced something that no-one else on Earth has, truth is, you can't relate to that experience. Even to some extent, our ancestors knowledge has been ingrained into our DNA: that knowledge has transferred into an instinct.

For all we know, we may have experienced aliens on a large scale before. Just look at religion. If your more sceptical about it you may have considered aliens as the cause. That idea isn't so ridiculous. Around the same time (possibly not enough time for the information to spread), humans started worshipping some strange/great being from the sky. You may not believe in ghosts or stuff like that, but think of where the idea of such a thing may have come from. Maybe an alien was a being that could imitate dead humans in an opaque, floaty manner. Maybe we do have some true experience to draw from to picture true aliens, but they're just ingrained so deep into our society as something else that we don't recognise them.

Even then, one could go into our limited senses. Aliens can provoke so much thinking in a willing, agile mind.
Noni does Napo
NaPoWriMo 2014
"Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts." - Arnold Bennet

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 pm
Kelcia says...

Okay, first, I thought I'd mention:
>> Kafka, I love your avvie - a representation of the fourth dimension, wearing a Santa hat. I approve. :)

Second, I posted a video on this last night. You might like to check out my full opinion and the reasons behind it there.
Spoiler! :
It's a tad lengthy, but you get the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsT3cWB ... ature=plcp

Third. I do think that Aliens exist.
A) The universe is simply too darn big for life not to exist elsewhere. However, it might not even look like life. It might be similar to algae, or amoebas, or some structure we cant even imagine. There's this wonderful thing called evolution, that determines how life evolves. The circumstances on an alien planet are probably far different than the circumstances on Earth.

B) Alien life, though it probably exists, it's likely so far away, that we will never see it in our lifetimes. And even if we did discover it, what then? It could be thousands of light years away. By the time the light from the planet reaches us, the species on the planet will have changed. It might have gone extinct, or any number of things could have happened. Extinction by rabid weasel-badgers. I don't know. So, while there probably IS alien life, it probably won't exist and be intelligent at the same time as we exist and are intelligent. So, the odds of contact are small.

C) Even if they did come to Earth, why would they bother with us? We would be, as has been stated already, a fairly primitive species compared to them. Sure, we might make interesting scientific studies, but if they were so advanced as to reach us in a reasonable time, would they even recognize us as significant?

And finally, if you want a really cool bit of brain-food, I'd suggesting checking out the movie "Contact". It covers the subject really well. Besides, it was based on a book written by Carl Sagan - which is a recommendation in and of itself. :D
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:27 am
Pigeon says...

A bunch of other people have already said what I think - it's a huge universe; they're probably out there somewhere.

But look at how difficult it is for us to travel distances in space which are relatively very short when you consider the size of the universe. I doubt any aliens are going to make it here in our lifetimes. In fact, I think it's almost impossible that contact would ever be made at all. We're just another planet out of billions, what are the chances of us even being noticed?

Besides which, I wouldn't be too keen on aliens dropping in. As has already been said, to get here, they'd have to be way more advanced than us. When explorers traveled the globe and encountered new species they caught them, dissected them, stuffed them and studied them. Why should we expect aliens to treat us any differently if they did happen to find us?
Reader, what are you doing?