Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Do UFO's Exist?

Post a reply
401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:13 am
Nate says...

Firstly, this topic refers to alien aircraft type of UFO's.

In any case, I thought this story was kind of interesting/out-there:
From Wired wrote:In space, no one can smell the drifting interstellar cloud of patchouli oil or catch the cosmic hacky sack. It turns out to be a crucial human failing, if a group of retired Air Force officers is to be believed. The officers say they’ve encountered UFOs, and surmise that the space creatures are trying to tell an obstinate human race to abandon its nuclear weapons. That’s right: Earth is being monitored by intergalactic hippies.

Seven elderly retired Air Force officers called a news conference at the National Press Club in Washington on Monday afternoon — covered, improbably, by CNN — to disclose that they witnessed the UFOs rendering U.S. nuclear missiles temporarily inoperable during the Cold War.

“Whoever are aboard these craft are sending a signal to both Washington and Moscow, among others, that we are playing with fire,” announced longtime UFO researcher Robert Hastings, who convened the gathering. “The possession and threatened use of nuclear weapons potentially threatens the human race and the integrity of the planetary bargain.”

President Obama, however unpopular you’ve grown at home, there are beings off-world who approve of your no-nuke agenda.

Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/09 ... z10tOBdRpx

So what say you? Bunch of crazed, senile former Air Force guys, or do you think that UFO's are visiting Earth (or just open to the possibility)?
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

3676 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3676
Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:19 am
Snoink says...

One time, my dad and my uncle were looking up at the night sky and we saw this strange pattern of lights go across the sky, too fast for a satellite. Also, it was a pairing of three lights in a shape of a triangle. My uncle, who was a Navy intelligence officer a couple years ago, said that there was no technology like that at all.

So. Yeah. I think it's possible. There are some strange things out there.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:25 pm
LookUpThere says...

I once played with the idea that they could just be us from the future. After reading Firestorm by David Klass it seems logical to go back in time and change everything.

1072 Reviews

Reviews: 1072
Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:59 pm
Kyllorac says...

I think it's a definite possibility they exist, but I personally don't have anything that makes me say they actually do.

As far as the quote above goes, assuming that aliens do exist, it seems a bit arrogant to surmise that the reason they de-nuked the nukes was for the sake of the human race. Maybe having a radioactive mess of a planet would interfere with their way of life, or maybe they did it just because they liked watching us primitive beings scramble. Who knows.
Screwing with gender since 1995.

There are no chickens in Hyrule.

Reviews: 3
Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:46 am
View Likes
AuroraOrodel says...

I completely and unashamedly believe that extraterrestrial life exists. The universe is too massive for us to be the only planet with life. We have no idea how massive it is, we've barely explored our own galaxy! However, if we assume that aliens have the necessary technology to reach our planet, they must be fairly advanced. What interest would they have in our affairs? Would they even understand our affairs?

Of course...I can always hope there are aliens who like us traveling around in blue boxes. :wink:
"You cannot pronounce as knowledge anything you cannot demonstrate."
~Margaret Atwood

"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
~Fahrenheit 451

729 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 729
Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:26 am
Lava says...

I've always been if the belief that there always could be alien life form, and that it needn't correspond to the human perception of it. Which is the carbon-based life form. And for all we know, they could be extremely tiny,like viruses.
I BLOG!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:25 pm
LookUpThere says...

I just wonder, why do we make assumptions for the requirements of life? Surely other species must have adapted differently?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:31 pm
Francis Michael Buck says...

I believe that UFO's are one of two things:

A) They are human-created, either in the sense of being some kind of natural phenomenon that humans are simply misinterpreting, or they're just glimpses of somewhat advanced military technology that is unknown to the general public. Really, I think this is, has, and will continue to happen and is probably true regardless of whether the following is true, which is...

B) If they ARE of an extraterrestrial nature, I do not believe that they are "spaceships" in the classical sense. If anything, my assumption would be that they are probably autonomous probe-like devices meant to gather information on any "interesting" locations or environments, such as a planet populated by life. Theoretically these could be self-repairing robots sent out thousands and even millions (or, why not, billions) of years ago by alien civilizations that have long forgotten or abandoned them. I mean, look how many probes we've already sent out on one-way missions to investigate the solar system and beyond, and we haven't even been a space-faring race for more than a hundred years. Imagine the limitless possibilities of a race just two-hundred years more advanced than us, let alone five hundred or a thousand (which I personally think is virtually incomprehensible - I don't think a civilization that advanced would even be comparative to what we are now). So yeah, to me the odds are much better than it's just some type of robotic "being", probably with little real intelligence, as opposed to actual aliens sitting in spaceships flying over our planet for no particular reason.

None of this really affects my belief on aliens as whole, however. I absolutely think that aliens exist all over the universe, I just think that our typical ideas of aliens and space colonization in general is pretty unlikely. I don't think we'll ever really have like, massive spaceships the size of skyscrapers and "galactic alliances" and stuff like that. I think that by the time civilizations DO become advanced enough to colonize space, they'd be so different from what we are now that we can't really even imagine what it will be like. And by that time, they really wouldn't care a whole lot about a species like us, which in my opinion would still be considered very primitive. I mean, our civilization is barely ten-thousand years old...what would a civilization ten-million years old look like?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you've read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-Buddha

Reviews: 0
Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 pm
View Likes
Elphabalives says...

Of course UFOs exist. Of course aliens exist. I have no doubt in my mind about either one.
I'm not going to lie and say that I've seen a UFO, because I haven't (yet), but I have several trustworthy friends and family members who have told me with what I believe to be complete honesty that they have seen one. To me, I think it's really ignorant and blatantly stupid for people to say that we, humans, are the only ones in this entire, widespread universe. That's one of the main problems of the human race: we have a horrible tendancy to ignore things that are right in front of our faces.
And yes, I do believe that the whole thing with Roswell and the supposed UFO crash did, in fact, occur, and was covered up by the government. I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist here, but I honest to God think that there's also probably tons more events involving extraterestrial life that have happened that the "higher people" that are in charge of us have glossed over.
-It's time to try defying gravity... kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity... and you can't pull me down...-

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:55 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Elphabalives wrote:Of course UFOs exist. Of course aliens exist. I have no doubt in my mind about either one.
I'm not going to lie and say that I've seen a UFO, because I haven't (yet), but I have several trustworthy friends and family members who have told me with what I believe to be complete honesty that they have seen one. To me, I think it's really ignorant and blatantly stupid for people to say that we, humans, are the only ones in this entire, widespread universe. That's one of the main problems of the human race: we have a horrible tendancy to ignore things that are right in front of our faces.
And yes, I do believe that the whole thing with Roswell and the supposed UFO crash did, in fact, occur, and was covered up by the government. I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist here, but I honest to God think that there's also probably tons more events involving extraterestrial life that have happened that the "higher people" that are in charge of us have glossed over.

I'ma suggest you take a moment from your strongly felt view and re-think your post. I'm not sure why I should believe anything you've typed here since it reads like stream of consciousness separated by those annoying conventions of grammar and you know, rules of English.

You DO sound like a conspiracy theorist and honestly, nutter. I am NOT typing this to slander you or make fun of you. I'm simply saying breathe, TAKE A STEP BACK, BREATHE, AND THE FBI IS WATCHING ONOES! (MULLLLLLLLLLDER!!!!) Haha, humour, laugh. You need sources, you need facts, and you should not let the weight of your post lie in testimonials and stories of family and friends.

Relax and do not call other people ignorant (funny how that's spelled with "rant" huh?). I also think UFO's are likely to exist in some capacity, but consider the useful nature of their tales. Propaganda alone, can determine the mindset of rival government and countries in tales of complete garbage you've made up, YET, the possibility of an incredible weapon I'm sure is enough to make them pause in their tracks. Think about that. The tale itself is a weapon.

Now stop watching X-Files on infinite repeat and take down the poster "The Truth is out There" and look into the sky. If not, I have a lovely story for you to read. :D

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:58 am
View Likes
Razcoon says...

Snoink wrote:One time, my dad and my uncle were looking up at the night sky and we saw this strange pattern of lights go across the sky, too fast for a satellite. Also, it was a pairing of three lights in a shape of a triangle. My uncle, who was a Navy intelligence officer a couple years ago, said that there was no technology like that at all.

So. Yeah. I think it's possible. There are some strange things out there.

Actually, I saw the same thing sometime this past winter. The lights were moving behind the clouds, in the same general area for a while, then they sped across the sky. So I think it's possible too. xD
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:23 am
View Likes
Elphabalives says...

MeanMrMustard wrote:
Elphabalives wrote:Of course UFOs exist. Of course aliens exist. I have no doubt in my mind about either one.

I'ma suggest you take a moment from your strongly felt view and re-think your post. I'm not sure why I should believe anything you've typed here since it reads like stream of consciousness separated by those annoying conventions of grammar and you know, rules of English.

You DO sound like a conspiracy theorist and honestly, nutter. I am NOT typing this to slander you or make fun of you. I'm simply saying breathe, TAKE A STEP BACK, BREATHE, AND THE FBI IS WATCHING ONOES! (MULLLLLLLLLLDER!!!!) Haha, humour, laugh. You need sources, you need facts, and you should not let the weight of your post lie in testimonials and stories of family and friends.

Relax and do not call other people ignorant (funny how that's spelled with "rant" huh?). I also think UFO's are likely to exist in some capacity, but consider the useful nature of their tales. Propaganda alone, can determine the mindset of rival government and countries in tales of complete garbage you've made up, YET, the possibility of an incredible weapon I'm sure is enough to make them pause in their tracks. Think about that. The tale itself is a weapon.

Now stop watching X-Files on infinite repeat and take down the poster "The Truth is out There" and look into the sky. If not, I have a lovely story for you to read. :D

Who the hell pissed in your cheerios? Excuse me for voicing my opinion on something... I can call people ignoRANT if I want to, thanks. "You, know, rules of English?"... you sound like an ass. Please check your attitude. Not everyone can have perfect grammer. Don't tell me what I should and should not do. That's not your decision. And what in the world are you talking about "garbage I made up?" I didn't make up a freaking THING.
By the way, you probably want to find some better insults, sweetheart. I have never watched one episode of X-Files, let alone on "infinite repeat". I'd love to read that story that you have for me to read. Love you, baby. :D
-It's time to try defying gravity... kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity... and you can't pull me down...-

3676 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3676
Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:30 am
Snoink says...

Ack, please calm down, everyone. There isn't a hard and fast answer to this question, so it's silly to call one side ignorant when all of us are ignorant of the truth.

Razcoon>> That is so weird. I'll tell my dad about it. He'll be interested. Also, what continent do you live on?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:54 pm
View Likes
Razcoon says...

Snoink>>North America.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

502 Reviews

Reviews: 502
Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:42 pm
Kafkaescence says...

The problem is that a planet from which some extraterrestrial life form would come from would have to be relatively close. From what we know, it is impossible to move faster than the speed of light, and so unless the aliens utilized some Star Trek gravitational warping technology (which would require an astronomical amount of energy and/or mass), or discovered the existence of some subatomic particle with four-dimensional momentum constraints, it would be unreasonable to propose that any Earth-visiting life form or technology could originate even one-tenth of the diameter of the Milky Way away from our own planet. I'm not suggesting that no alien life form could possibly reach Earth. In fact, I strongly believe that UFO's have touched Earth's atmosphere. However, what I'm saying is that these aliens could not be outside of our own galaxy; indeed, they couldn't even be too far away inside it.

There's another point that I feel is worth making. Our eyes take in an incredible amount of information, and yet only an unbelievably small portion of that information is actually processed. We process what we recognize, or what we deem possible. This next phenomenon is best told through anecdote. When Columbus's boat began to near the coast of America, a Native American shaman was sitting on the shore. However, despite its size, the boat was invisible to the shaman. The shaman, instead of seeing the boat itself, saw only abnormal ripples in the water that surrounded it. Disturbed, he stared at the ripples. Only after much focusing was he even able to perceive the mechanism causing them. You see? Us humans are only able to process images that we are familiar with. The Natives had never in their life seen anything resembling a European ship, and so were not able to visualize it in their brains. But what does this have to do with UFO's? What I'm getting at is that extraterrestrials could be right in front of us, every day, but they're so abstract that we're unable to see them for what they are. I know this may sound ludicrous, but I thought it might be healthy to explore some different, more unique perspectives.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF