Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Why do we post our works?

Post a reply
Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:25 pm
View Likes
Young gun says...

As we all know the purpose of this site is to improve our literary work(and many other fun reasons too).

The main question is-do we post our work really for improvement or is it just the human craving for appreciation?

So,what are your views?
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:14 pm
View Likes
OverEasy says...

Probably a mixture of self gratification as well as wanting to improve your works. That's what it is for me, anyways. Especially when you know something has great potential but needs reworking and another point of view. It is always lovely when someone goes "Wow! I really like this!" though lol.
"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times I’m hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst then you sure don’t deserve me at my best." --Marilyn Monroe

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:32 pm
View Likes
mkg1017 says...

My Creative Writing teacher asked us all to sign up for this site. She wanted us all to get help with our writings. I thought it was a good idea.. I expected all nice people to be like "Wonderful! Nothing to change!" how it was last year whenever I asked any one for help. Then I realized these people don't know you and never will, so they aren't afraid to tell you their honest opinion, no matter how harsh it is.

Now, I am very reluctant to post any of my pieces, as I already think little of them, but my peers tell me otherwise.

So I was expecting gratification and minor pointers, but thats not what I got..

But really, That's how it is in the publishing world as well. They aren't going to baby you, they are going to flat up tell you it' amazing, or it sucks..

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:55 pm
View Likes
Tigersprite says...

As OverEasy said, self-gratification. Writing is a personal, private thing, and I think we all crave a bit of recognition for our work. Apart from that, we want to improve. I began posting my work on Wattpad because I wanted constructive criticism, and when I couldn't find it I came here instead. As mkg said, the blunt and upfront critiques here are exactly what we will receive from publishers and agents, and will be truly helpful in the future if we want to pursue writing as a career. So yes, gratification/recognition, criticism and experience is why I post online.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold