Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Abstinence

Post a reply
25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:11 am
Speele says...

I don't think sex is the sin. Lust is a fairly serious sin, but I don't think you can call all sex before marriage lust.

This statement is counter-intuitive in my opinion. To say that you believe lust is a 'fairly serious sin' also says that you subscribe to a Catholic idea of morality (the seven deadly sins, including Pride, Greed, and Lust, ect.). To even admit to the idea of a sin admits to a higher power and in our society nearly all religions would say that, not only lust, but pre-marital sex is also a sin. I'm not saying that either IS a sin, just that by normal religious standards then if one is, then so is the other.

In any case, abstinence is obviously possible, and I don't think anyone is denying that. The real argument is if it is advisable. One thing I keep seeing come up in this discussion is the idea that you should have sex before marriage in order to assure that you and your mate are sexually compatible. This is one objection to abstinence that I always found difficult to understand. Everyone has sex for the first time at some point, and the only way people get any better at it is through practice. I don't see how my future husband knowing what has pleased other woman would be of any help during our time in the bedroom. If you love someone, you will do anything to please them, and even if it is weird at first, having my husband learn with me rather than knowing he has learned from another woman seems a much more comforting thought.

I believe abstinence is the absolute best solution. I have not been abstinent. And I have felt the negative effects. Whether you like it or not you will be bringing your past relationship's baggage with you into the bedroom. And sex is not meant to be casual so it comes with a lot of baggage.

The above is of course only what I believe based on the information and experiences gathered from my lifetime, which is obviously going to be a separate compilation that all of you hold.
A writer is someone who writes. Nothing more.