Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Is homosexuality a psychological disorder or is it inate?

Post a reply

Is homosexuality a psychological disorder or is it inate?

It's definately a psychological disorder. With help, they can become heterosexual.
20%
It's inate 100%, they're born that way and people shouldn't try to "fix" them.
80%

Total votes : 133

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:42 pm
View Likes
Riedawriter23 says...

Is being homosexual a disorder that can be "fixed"? Or are people just born attracted to the same sex?

This poll is for a report I'm writing on the subject. I need statistics to follow up my point. It's due tomorrow so debate away! Oh and I tried to add another option that said "I have a different opinion on this debate." But it didn't work out and now I can't change it so. Just know that I wasn't trying to narrow it to only two options. ;)
Last edited by Riedawriter23 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:56 pm
View Likes
gyrfalcon says...

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't it just be a choice?
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:02 pm
View Likes
Riedawriter23 says...

...yeah I wanted to put that in my essay but my teacher wouldn't let me. Mostly because I don't think that it's a choice she would make. I'm only supposed to compare two different view points so this isn't based on what I believe in exactly.
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:24 pm
View Likes
khfan890 says...

There aren't really statistics to prove anything, I don't think. But I think it's a choice. But for my opinion between your two options, I'll pick the psychological disorder.
Death is no respecter of persons. Just felt like saying that.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:49 pm
View Likes
Via says...

No. No, it's not a psychological disorder. No. If it were, then heterosexuality would be a psychological disorder. So, unless sexual preference is based upon one of three psychological disorders (homo, hetero, bi), it's not a psychological disorder.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

501 Reviews

Reviews: 501
Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:57 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

It can't be a disorder by defintion - that would require for it to negativly impact a 'suffer's' life. Clearly this isn't the case. Furthermore, there are no well documented cases of a homosexual being 'cured', despite the large number of (usually expensive) rehab-clinic-like-things in America.

But I'm also uneasy in saying homosexuals are born this way. I'd say - and I believe this is the current scientific consensus - that it's a mixture of inante and environmental factors, and the exact cause differs from person to person (ie. it could be inante for some people, pure environment for others, and a mixture of both for the rest).
I wrote the above just for you.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:08 pm
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

I think before we ask ourselves why any one person would be attracted to a person of the same sex, we should ask ourselves why we are attracted to someone of the opposite sex. I think the obvious answer would be for reproduction, which is why we have different sexes in the first place, right?

But also, if there were only 100 people in the world, and all but 3 were homosexual, then who'd be the ones with the disorder? The minority, or the majority? People have been treating homosexuality like a disease, but really they're just reacting to something they don't understand. They're are plenty of examples of people reacting this way to new things all throughout history.

I don't think we should think of homosexuals as something we can 'fix'. If it's a sexual preference, then it's no different than a strait person referring someone of the opposing sex. Can you reprogram someone strait to be attracted to their own gender? Can anyone who's strait imagine suddenly deciding to be homosexual? I definitely don't think it's a choice, and I don't think it's a disease either.

As for it being innate, I'd say yes. Just like it's innate to be born strait.

^_^ And that's my (rambling) two cents.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:38 pm
View Likes
shotgun2983 says...

It's definitlt a choice of the person, but from the little I have read as far as I understand some people just can't help it, they are born that way. It just can't really be helped. Oh, and Sureal, homosexual rehab clinics? I have never heard of such thing and I live in America. Mind providing a link to one of these place's homepages?

Good luck with your report!
-Joel-
@(^_^)@

501 Reviews

Reviews: 501
Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:44 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

It's definitlt a choice of the person, but from the little I have read as far as I understand some people just can't help it, they are born that way.

You do realise you contradict yourself here?

Oh, and Sureal, homosexual rehab clinics? I have never heard of such thing and I live in America. Mind providing a link to one of these place's homepages?

I don't know any of companies. I've read about a few, but can't remember any names I'm afraid. I found this on wikipedia though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion ... y#Scandals
I wrote the above just for you.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:51 pm
View Likes
shotgun2983 says...

Wow Sureal, lol, you got one. I didn't think you were serious at first, but this is shocking. Why would you try to correct what you are?

But on the other hand, it was the person's choice about weather or not to seek help, so lawsuits shouldn't have been filed.

-Joel-
@(^_^)@

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:03 pm
View Likes
Meep says...

The question implies that homosexuality is either a psychological disorder or innate. It leaves out the possibility of innate psychological disorders and the possibility that homosexuality is nurture (as opposed to nature). Why does it matter why someone's sexuality is one thing or another - beyond interesting anthropology and curiosity about what makes people in general tick? (I mean, it's not as though we're debating whether or not heterosexuality is nature or nurture.)* You might want to bring that up in your paper, if you can.

Slightly more on topic, the idea that homosexuality should be "fixed" is repulsive. I have nothing else to say on that subject, just wanted to get that out there.

---
*no, really! read Adrienne Rich's article on compulsory heterosexuality; it's possible that heterosexuality is also taught, whether you realize it or not.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:39 pm
Galatea says...

The concept of compulsory heterosexuality is fascinating, actually. I highly recommend the article Meep referenced.

Shotgun--they do exist. And the very concept TERRIFIES me.

I believe that some people are born gay, and some people are "made" gay. However, I think more often than not, people are born gay.

Here is an example from my own life:

My mother tells a story from when I was 6. I would play with the barbies, but not with the kens. When she asked why, I said that the barbies were best friend, and wanted to be best friends forever, wanted to go on grand adventures and didn't want to share their time with ken. They didn't need him, I insisted. All they needed was each other. In my 6 year old mind, these two dolls loved each other more than they could any ken.

To contextualize, my parents have been married nearly 30 years. They love each other deeply, and model a successful and healthy heterosexual relationship for my brother and I. He is 18, and most definitely interested in women. I have had no sexual trauma in my life.

I have had relationships and sex with men. No relationship or sex I've had with any man has been half as satisfying as the relationship I share with my partner now. She brings out the absolute best in me. I can't imagine spending my life without her. She is my match, in every way. I love her beyond what words can describe.

I don't know if a personal account helps, but there it is.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:06 am
View Likes
Cade says...

As others have stated, it doesn't always go one way or the other. I've always assumed it was a mix of genetics and environment. It's partially a matter of choice, and partially a matter of innate personal preference...for example, I really like writing and literature.
I believe I was born with artistic and linguistic tendencies, but I was also influenced by the number and nature of books my parents introduced me to as a child, the people I hang out with, and what I personally view as desirable based on my upbringing and my surroundings. There's no saying if I might still like writing even if my parents had pushed me into math or science or if I lived in a community with fewer artistic opportunities--I might have ignored my artistic tendencies. I might not have.
Sexuality is just another type of personal preference or built-in tendency.

Some people, of course, recognize that they're homosexual after a long time. In Galatea's story, she exhibited behavior that contradicted the norm early in life; it doesn't mean she knew she was homosexual then, just that a personal preference showed itself. Others don't even come close to questioning their own sexuality until later in life, after happy relationships with the opposite sex.

An interesting question is that of bisexuality...are bisexuals people who were born with weaker (but still present) homosexual tendencies, or is that another matter entirely?

-Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:58 am
View Likes
Sam says...

I don't even think this is a legitimate discussion, as American psychologists determined in the 1970s that homosexuality was not a disease.

I personally believe that it's innate, especially when looking at Galatea's example--many of the people I've talked to "knew" since they were seven, eight years old, before there's any true puberty. If it were a sexual 'preference', the sex drive would come first, and then the homosexuality. But it seems the other way around.

If it were a psychological "disorder", there would be some normal behavior to compare it to--moments where they weren't gay. A person with schizophrenia doesn't have episodes constantly. It differs from their natural behavior. However, homosexuals are always homosexual, and do not deviate from what is normal for them.

On a completely unscientific, high school view--would you really want to be gay, in today's society? Come on. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time if someone says something mean about my shoes, let alone sexual orientation.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:50 pm
View Likes
gyrfalcon says...

Why would you try to correct what you are?

This is assuming that homosexuals are born homosexuals, and even if they are, a lot of people take clinics to lose weight (which can also be something you're born with and not necessarily bad) and other such "natural" things that they want to change about themselves. The idea of homosexuality "clinics" seems to be freaking a lot of you guys out: why? Unless they're forcing gay people through the door, I think it's that person's choice whether they want to take a clinic or not. Remember, a lot of people (myself included) think that homosexuality is a choice and that it's not the right one; if I found myself struggling with homosexual thoughts or tendencies I might just want a place where I could go and talk it out.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis