Moved to Debate... :twisted:

-Z

593 Reviews

Reviews: 593
Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:42 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

*bows* Thank you very much. :D

Hmm.. On mythology, it depends on how it's written. If the book is explaining the different parts of mythology, and what different civilizations believed, then it's nonfiction. If it's.. well.. Ok, now I'm confused lol.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:05 am
Perra says...

Thanks, ZZAP!

That's the 'some mythology' I'm thinking about. If it's talking about myths, it goes in fiction. And if you think too hard about that, you'll get confused, also, or even more so, if you're Crysi(or EBM :twisted: [j/k!:mrgreen:]) right now.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

593 Reviews

Reviews: 593

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:22 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

... I know what's going on, but am also very confused... It would be interesting to go and see what library puts myths under actually.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:00 pm
View Likes
Perra says...

Crysi wrote:Exactly 8)

I believe you mean :xmas_cool:
:xmas_wink:

And I think I found some myths in the nonfiction section. But I don't remember when or if I really did.... :| :?
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

817 Reviews

Reviews: 817
Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:19 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

I've seen mythology in both actually. I found a big old book that talked all about Greek mythology in the non-fiction religion section. Way cool. There were others that talked about Egyptian (also cool), Roman (total snoozefest), and Norse(gave me nightmares) mythology. There was this other really cool book in the fiction section on Greek mythology called We Goddesses. It told the same myths from the POV's of Athene, Hera, and Aphrodite. That was definitely fiction because no one actually believes these goddesses exist. Is there? Am I a total loser for thinking these type of books are cool?

Anyway, on the original topic, I definitely think fairy tales and such are fantasy. I mean come on, since when is Snow White non-fiction? Another vaguely related tangent: Has anyone here read Donna Jo Napoli's books. She does mainly twisted fairy tales. I'll give you the names, you tell me the fairy tale. Beast, Zel, and Spinners. They're in order from what I think is easiest to hardest to figure out.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:47 am
View Likes
bubblewrapped says...

Hmm. Lets look at this logically.

Myths are made up (fiction) by historical societies and treated as religious fact (non-fiction, religious section) like the Bible (ditto).

Fairytales & folk tales are also made up (fiction) by historical societies but (so far as I know) not treated as religious fact, but as religious superstition. THEREFORE...Fairytales and folk tales themselves should be in the fiction section. Books about said tales that explain their relation to society should be in the non-fiction section. But the tales could also go in the non-fiction section because ... I'm drawing a blank :shock:
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:50 am
View Likes
bubblewrapped says...

PS - I read Donna J. Napoli...Beast was about Beauty and the Beast, but I've never heard of Zel. The Little Mermaid or something? And Spinners...Rumpelstiltskin? Dunno...
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:20 am
View Likes
Bobo says...

The stories themselves didn't happen, so they go in fiction. Of course, a book explaining their history would go in non-ficiton. Simple.

817 Reviews

Reviews: 817
Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:19 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Zel is actually Rapunzel and Spinners is Rumplestiltkin. I also liked For The Love of Venice, which is realistic fiction, but it's also written by Donna Jo Napoli.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci
"You need a reason to be sad. You don't need a reason to be happy." DJ, "Sideways Stories from Wayside School"
<YWS><R1>