Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

The Big Debate

Post a reply
418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:29 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Okay, as many of you know, the fairy tales and folk tales category goes under non-fiction. If you have any comments please feel free to talk here. I for one, am not decided because they are really fantasy but they teach you morals and lessons, so it is really in the middle... :(

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:35 pm
Korin says...

Morals and teaching lessons in a story has nothing to do with Fiction or Non-fiction. Its simply that Non-fiction actually happened in real life, a historic story. Fiction did NOT happen. Simple as that.

418 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:52 pm

Yeah, but where do they fit in if it didnt happen? I mean, everyone says that it is under non fiction but if it didnt happen, how do they know?!

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:55 pm
Nate says...

I'm gonna go with Korin on this. If it's a fairy tale or folk tale, it should go under fantasy. I mean, when I think of non-fiction, I think of personal tales such as my trip to the Outer Banks or something of that nature, or how I scaled Mount Sugarloaf. In addition to that, I think of biographies, interviews, essays, and articles.
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

418 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:58 pm

Yeah, that is too what I think. But at my school, every one of my english and literature teachers say they are non fiction! I too think that they are fantasy.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:47 am
Brian says...

You must go to a weird school... although mine is kind of like that too. We had to read parts from the book of Exodus (from the bible) for english class last year, and the teacher always referred to it as a fantasy story. It really pissed me off... if you aren't Christian/Jewish/Muslim, fine, but give the old testament some respect.

418 Reviews

Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:49 am

Whoa, you read the Bible in yours. Man, my school is so pro-church and state! They would never even allow to bring the Bible. Well that is what they said in all of my schools, that folk tales were non-fiction!

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:52 am
Brian says...

Yeah, my county is actually a lot like that too (there had to be a huge discussion about whether it was okay for students to form prayer groups on school property). But, we have to read Genesis, Exodus, and Psalms because they are written about or alluded to in a lot of literature.

418 Reviews

Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:53 am

How are they tied in with other literature?
Last edited by electricbluemonkey on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:27 pm
Perra says...

Brian wrote:Yeah, my county is actually a lot like that too (there had to be a huge discussion about whether it was okay for students to form prayer groups on school property). But, we have to read Genesis, Exodus, and Psalms because they are written about or alluded to in a lot of literature.

They weren't going to let students form prayer groups?! Why? It would just be a group run by students! For students who want to be in them! It shouldn't be a big deal. And not allowing students to bring bibles to school is infringing upon someone's free-will. People confuse separating chruch and state with state and NO church sometimes. The founding fathers meant for the government not to get involved with religion, not to stop it from happening. Good greif, people! :x :roll:

My school allows a student-run Christian group that students can go to once a week at lunch. They also allow people to have/bring Bibles if they want, and doesn't get on to people praying on their own.

And the Bible isn't fantasy! It's history, and should be catagorized as such. Even if a teacher isn't religiuos, or doesn't follow any Bible-related religion, they should still refer to it as History, just to be correct.

I'm done ranting now.

Fairy tales and folk lore are fantasy. Why would they call it non-fiction? Is it because they were created in history or something?
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

87 Reviews

Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:34 pm
Perra says...

ElectricBlueMonkey wrote:Oh okay. How are they tied in with other literature? I am confuzzled...ooh new word!

Books have reference to the people or events in those Bible books. I'm sure Shakespear has done one or two....And I've heard things refering to the Queen of Sheba. I don't know if she's in one of the books Brian mentioned, though. I really need to read my Bible! Wait, I know she's not in Genesis, Adam and Eve, and Noah, Abraham(?). I think Exodus might be on Moses. And Psalms has songs that King David wrote in it.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:47 am
Elelel says...

My school is a catholic school. There is a subject on religion, and everyone has to have a bible. I'm not the best catholic in the world... (in fact I'm probably the worst...) but it seems to me that saying you can't form a prayer group is like libraries banning books such as LotR... it doesn't affect them if people do those things, and there's nothing morally wrong about them why bother banning them? Just doesn't make sense to me...
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:09 am
ZZAP says...

On task please...

The question is, "Whether to put a subject into Non-fiction or Fantasy?"
Thanks!

-ZZAP

593 Reviews

Reviews: 593
Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:55 am
Crysi says...

:roll:

Well aren't you the strict mod now? Lol sorry..

Non-fiction is a recording of an actual event, like a biography on Abraham Lincoln or something. Fiction is something the author created from their imagination. Now, there are many subdivisions, such as historical fiction, but the subdivisions all have the same elements as the main divisions.

Actually, now that I think about it.. shouldn't this topic go in the debate thread? *scratches head*

87 Reviews

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:08 pm
Perra says...

Actually, it was "Should fairy tales and folk tales be in non-fiction or fiction?"

Now that I think about it, some mythology should be in non-fiction history, because it effected ancient civilizations and was apart of them.

Need a Critique?