Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Diet Pills

Post a reply
67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:48 pm
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

i keep seeing these ads for things like cortaslim on television, and i hate them so very very much. i was wondering what other people think. diet pills, like em or hate em?
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:49 pm
View Likes
Incandescence says...

Indifferent. The commercials are god-awfully annoying. But personally, I don't care that much. I don't use them because I'd probably turn to dust.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:35 pm
View Likes
Zion says...

Same thin here.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:44 pm
View Likes
marching_gurl89 says...

a lot of the diet pills are very very unhealthy and dont work.people create diet pills because they want to get rich and there is people stupid enough to buy them
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:47 pm
View Likes
Bobo says...

Yeah, diet pills seem to be a big scam to me, mostly. And besides, having a drug force your body to lose weight can't be as good as exercise and healthy dieting, can it?

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:56 pm
View Likes
Galatea says...

There are better ways to reach a suitable weight than through some magic 'insta-weightloss' diet pill scheme. Personally, the American obsession with thinness has just about sickedned me to death. I hate being dissatisfied with my body, and most of the time I'm okay with how I look, but every once in a while the demon of pop-culture creeps into my mind and whispers nasty things to me. I'm fat, my skin isn't clear enough, I don't wear enough makeup, I don't wear the right clothes, I don't look good in the clothes I do wear . . . the list goes on.

In my least favorite Cortislim commercial, this tall blonde bombshell talks about belonging to the 'unhappiest club in the world, the Overweight Club'. Forgive me for thinking this, lady, but I would think the unhappiest club in the world would be the Starving Orphans in India Club, or the Single Teen Mother's Club, or perhaps the Working Poor Club. Hm? There are woser things in life than being a little over the national standard of unfed thinness.

1950s: average female mannequin-size 8, average female-size 8-10
2005: average fmale mannequin-size 4, average female-size 12-16

Problem? I think so.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:01 pm
View Likes
marching_gurl89 says...

definetly.the probelm today is girls playing with barbie dolls.A plastic doll as there roll model. How about Paris hilton and Lindsay Lohan as roll models. Those girls party so hard. Todays society is sickening
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

128 Reviews

Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:15 pm
View Likes
Galatea says...

I F-ING HATE F-ING PARIS HILTON!!!

I hate Lindsay Lohan too, but mostly because she's so damn untalented. Hilary Duff too. They're pretty faces, but I wouldn't trust either to act or sing any better than I could run a marathon (I have a heart condition . . .).

But marching has a point--what are young girls to think, when their role models are women like Paris Hilton? And Bratz dolls, and Barbies . . . the biggest problem I see in this country is our inability to see beyond the poshlust to the heart of anything. There is an apathy that has consummed the American public which I find utterly disturbing.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:14 pm
View Likes
scissorquiz says...

the average american ideal of beauty is thin.

people want to be beautiful, ergo, people want to be thin.

a capitalist society will always have people banking on the insecurities of others.

if they work, hurray - now people can be happy about how they look more easily.

if they don't, oh well - people who are too lazy to do something about being fat shouldn't complain when they waste their money on things like that.

128 Reviews

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:20 pm
View Likes
Galatea says...

Too lazy? There ARE reasons people gain weight, you know. Some are naturally rotund, some have glandular problems, some give birth and become mothers . . . and is it 1000 times easier to gain weight than it is to work it off.

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:20 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Ugh... Paris Hilton is incredibly ugly; doesn't help that she sounds like a man either.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about diet pills. On one hand, traditional diet and exercise are proven methods and will do the most to not only lower your body fat but also improve your self-esteem and level of happiness as well. However, what's the difference between a diet pill and say Tylenol? The latter is an expediated method for getting rid of headaches when you may benefit more from adopting a less stressful lifestyle, drinking more water, or simply relaxing in the tub every once and a while. So if many feel Tylenol is a justified method for getting rid of headaches when other methods would actually work better and prevent headaches in the future, then why not a diet pill? Right now, diet pills are mostly scams, but there will be a day when a diet pill, especially combined with diet and exercise, will really and truly work. Heck, there'll be a day when you'll be able to customize your entire body with the push of a button, although that day is quite far off.

Anyways, I have no idea how I feel about diet pills. I do think that traditional diet and exercise is the best way to lose weight and stay in shape, but if one can find a diet pill that works and has little side-effect, then I don't see any problem with it (of course, one should always diet and exercise anyway).

How's that for essentially saying nothing at all? ;)
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:41 pm
View Likes
scissorquiz says...

Galatea wrote:Some are naturally rotund
if that's just how you are, how would dieting change that? you'd just have a bony large person.
some have glandular problems
diet pills aren't marketed towards medical obesity sufferers
some give birth and become mothers
as opposed to giving birth and becoming a father? pregnancy weight gain will go away in most cases if the person maintains their ordinary habits, and otherwise it will go away with 10 minutes of excercise a day
. . . and is it 1000 times easier to gain weight than it is to work it off.
i'm going to assume you mean "it is" and then ask what your point is.

Paris Hilton wrote:that's hot.

128 Reviews

Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:14 am
View Likes
Galatea says...

You said that people who are fat are too lazy to do anything about it. I offered you specific situations where that doesn't apply.
The lesson, my darling newbie, is this:

A) Specificity is key

and

B) Compassion is also key

There are a wide range of reasons people are overweight, just as there are a wide range of reasons people are skinny. Our society scapegoats those who are seen as 'fat' and forces them to take measure that are not necessarily healthy to achieve a 'perfect' body. The looks of the times, however, changes with the times. Skinny hasn't and won't be popular for forever.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:14 am
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Diet pills are dagerously unhealthy. your body isn't ment to lose weight without working it off. if your losing weight, that your body isn't digesting, then its going somewhere. losing too much weight too fast can give you a fatal heart attack.
and besides, if you dont have a reason to be overweight, be it glandular or maternal, and you cant work it off on your own, then you frankly dont deserve to lose that weight.
a bony structure doesnt corrospond to a round shape, it would correspond to a short, stocky, box-like shape. round is due to fat. a person has a natural body weight that they sit at normally. if they lose too much then the will as a garantee make it back up to that weigt, if they gain too much, it will undoubtably fall without having to do much work to lose it. its just like your mood, or your skin color. you are naturally happy, or you are naturally pasty, this stuff can be changed, but it will always fall back to its natural place.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

Random avatar

Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:43 am
View Likes
scissorquiz says...

Galatea wrote:You said that people who are fat are too lazy to do anything about it. I offered you specific situations where that doesn't apply.
The lesson, my darling newbie, is this:

A) Specificity is key

and

B) Compassion is also key

There are a wide range of reasons people are overweight, just as there are a wide range of reasons people are skinny. Our society scapegoats those who are seen as 'fat' and forces them to take measure that are not necessarily healthy to achieve a 'perfect' body. The looks of the times, however, changes with the times. Skinny hasn't and won't be popular for forever.

i didn't say people who are fat are too lazy to do anything about it. i said people who waste their money on died pills instead of exercising shouldn't complain when they don't work.

i'm not what you would call a skinny person myself, so i don't need to hear your spiel about that. thanks, though.

oh, and before you call me a 'newbie', consider the fact that i have posted on another writing website with nate for about 5 years.
no future