z

Young Writers Society

Story Idea

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:17 am
Diertz says...

I've been trying to think of something good to write as my first story and I think I've finally found it. Please tell me what you think.

The idea is that the main character (who's name is undecided still) will start from almost having nothing in his/her life and progress to become the greatest in the universe. The main character will meet many people, learn valuable things, how to act, what friendship is, the value of people and nature, and controlling anger. The main source of power the main character will obtain will be element style. Similar to how The Last Airbender cartoon is, it will feature the many fighting aspects of it. I also used to play World of Warcraft so I'm going to use some stuff for ideas towards it too. The time era the story uses will have it's own, so it will start at 100 for example. The age of the main character will start from 14 - 17. There will be gods as well, but not overly powerful. If I was an artist I would sketch an outlook of the universe but I can't draw for my life. It'll start as a "perfect" universe that's beautiful and peaceful. Later it will progress to burning dark times, hopefully to restore itself. The whole objective of the story is for the main character to learn who he/she is, their past, how to feel, control their emotions, and to be able to use their energy for everything. There will be some comedy (15-20%) added to it and red herrings + motifs as well.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated or opinions!
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain"
- Dolly Parton

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:42 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Hi again! *waves*

So, I think that sounds very interesting. A few suggestions:

First of all, you mentioned it's similar/inspired by The Last Airbender and World of Warcraft. It's okay for them to share some things in common—a lot of writers do get their ideas from something else—so long as you make it mainly original. If it's not Fan Fic, it should be treated as such... i.e., make it your own, be clever with it, don't rip off anyone else. No one wants to read something that's a carbon copy of something else, right?

(This all should go without saying but you never know...)

Secondly, your outline's a little vague. The story's in the beginning stages, so that's fine, but just make sure that when you actually write it that you give the characters... well, character, and the setting some distinct and lush descriptions. Atmosphere and character development are very important for any story. (Again, this should go without saying, but just makin' sure you know that kind of stuff.)

The main character will meet many people, learn valuable things, how to act, what friendship is, the value of people and nature, and controlling anger.

This all sounds fine and good, but maybe a tad preachy/unoriginal. You can still work around that, just make it (as I said above) your own and do something unique with it. :wink:

Um... I think that's everything. To recap:

1. Be original and don't copy anyone else!

2. Make sure your characters are flawed, interesting, and well-developed; same goes for whatever world you build around them.

3. Descriptions don't hurt. Vagueness does.

That's really the only advice I can give. Otherwise, your story outline sounds intriguing! If you follow that advice, I can see it turning out super good. :D

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:26 pm
Tenyo says...

This could be a long book XD

Question though. What would count as the 'greatest in the universe'? I mean, is this like DragonballZ superstrong warrior type of create, or bringer of peace and justice kind of great, or Galdalf kind of wise and patient kind of great?

It's a big ambition!
We were born to be amazing.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:50 pm
Diertz says...

Lucrezia wrote:Hi again! *waves*

So, I think that sounds very interesting. A few suggestions:

First of all, you mentioned it's similar/inspired by The Last Airbender and World of Warcraft. It's okay for them to share some things in common—a lot of writers do get their ideas from something else—so long as you make it mainly original. If it's not Fan Fic, it should be treated as such... i.e., make it your own, be clever with it, don't rip off anyone else. No one wants to read something that's a carbon copy of something else, right?

(This all should go without saying but you never know...)

Secondly, your outline's a little vague. The story's in the beginning stages, so that's fine, but just make sure that when you actually write it that you give the characters... well, character, and the setting some distinct and lush descriptions. Atmosphere and character development are very important for any story. (Again, this should go without saying, but just makin' sure you know that kind of stuff.)

The main character will meet many people, learn valuable things, how to act, what friendship is, the value of people and nature, and controlling anger.

This all sounds fine and good, but maybe a tad preachy/unoriginal. You can still work around that, just make it (as I said above) your own and do something unique with it. :wink:

Um... I think that's everything. To recap:

1. Be original and don't copy anyone else!

2. Make sure your characters are flawed, interesting, and well-developed; same goes for whatever world you build around them.

3. Descriptions don't hurt. Vagueness does.

That's really the only advice I can give. Otherwise, your story outline sounds intriguing! If you follow that advice, I can see it turning out super good. :D

I really appreciate this advice firstly!
The first thing I thought of was making it original and not copying from another source. I plan on making the story unique and will just use the basic elements from them both. I've lived life always trying to be different so that's my philosophy on this as well.
And yes, every character I make will have at least one flaw. I may make one special character that doesn't reoccur often be unflawed.
- Dolly Parton

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:58 pm
Diertz says...

Tenyo wrote:This could be a long book XD

Question though. What would count as the 'greatest in the universe'? I mean, is this like DragonballZ superstrong warrior type of create, or bringer of peace and justice kind of great, or Galdalf kind of wise and patient kind of great?

It's a big ambition!

Haha yes it could be long, that's exactly what I want actually. As for 'greatest in the universe', it will not be anything like those. The intention of the title will be more complicated actually. Strength won't factor in it but the character will probably be very strong anyway. I'm thinking more towards it meaning as the wisest, master, legend, or guardian. All I can say is whoever it is will be the prodigy basically. It'll be a long process to even obtain the title and will most likely be at the very end it is given.
- Dolly Parton

The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson