z

Young Writers Society

I have this idea...

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:49 pm
Dragoon120 says...

Okay, I've had this thought plaguing me for a while. I wanted to jot something down (Which I hardly ever do, most ideas stay firmly in my head or they are forgotten or uninteresting), and so I did. I let my sister read it one day, and the next day she asked, "How is the nerd story going?"
That question stumped me.
I'm unsure about continuing it, and want to know if the idea of it is a possible to catch interest...
Summary:
Laurel Sinclair is writing a story of flying cars, space ships, and a heroine who is reconstructed with no memory of her past. When she finishes the last chapter of the story, a mysterious man renders her unconscious.
Sinclair awakens in a corridor of doors that line the walls from the ground all the way up to a ceiling unseen. She is approached by the man who kidnapped her, and he claims to be "The Gate Keeper." This Gate Keeper transports Sinclair to the world of her story, and sends her best friend Allen there as a cruel joke.
There is one rule they have, if they are to get home: Finish the story.
Sinclair is given a blank binders of white paper that magically fills itself with words as the scenes taking place begin following along with her very own, original story.
As horrified as she became, they follow the plot. The two teenagers soon become friends with the doomed characters from Sinclair's imagination, and she slowly begins to dread the ending she created.
One question defines it all, and by thinking it, she has accomplished the Gate Keeper's intentions:
Does she honestly want these people she's learned to know, to die...?

I really want to know if it's worth the work... :-?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 pm
Tenyo says...

Ah, this is awesome! I would totally pick it up to read it if I saw it on a shelf somewhere.

I'm pretty sure you could make a sub-genre out of all the stories of people who have been faced with the products or pushed into a world of their own imagination. But the great thing is that it's a genre that works purely for the possibilities it holds.

Is it worth the work, however, is a totally different matter.

If you want to write it, it's worth writing. But if you have to ask if it's worth it then you have to ask why you're going to write it. Before getting it published or read or edited, the first and most important thing is if you *want* to write it.

Finishing a novel is a long road and you have to rely on internal confidence in your ideas rather than external approval.

I mean, look at Lord of the Rings. It's a classic loved by people everywhere, based on... a shortie on a journey to throw a ring into a volcano. You never know what it will become until you write it, but if Tolkien had given up because someone laughed and said 'that's ridiculous,' then we wouldn't have all the awesome stuff we have today.
We were born to be amazing.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:00 pm
Iggy says...

Okay. That sounds absolutely amazing. I totally might steal this from you if you don't write it.

One piece of advice: don't flesh out the story Sinclair is writing. Leave it as broad as you can when describing it in the beginning, or don't describe it at all. That way, when she is actually experiencing it, it's fresh and new to the reader. Also, don't flesh it out so you aren't bound to it. For example: say you're in the middle of the novel and you want to do something different, but it wasn't what Sinclair had in her book. If you don't flesh it out, you aren't bound, so you can take the story as you will. Make sense? :)

Here's to hoping you go through with this!
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:07 pm
crossroads says...

I say it is!

I might be a tad biased because it reminds me somewhat of a very old novel I'd started writing on some blog and never finished, but I really do like the idea here.

It needs some polishing up, of course, such as who exactly this Gate Keeper is and why is that happening, and why does he send her friend there. Cruel joke, alright.. does that mean the Gate Keeper is evil, or just bored and mischievous, or you just want Sinclair to have a maybe potential love interest there with her? :mrgreen:

Definitely worth the work, and I would personally like to read it and hear more about it. Don't worry so much about what other people say or think, though. If you like it, if the characters seem alive in your mind and you feel like writing it, then do it, people will surely be interested. ;)

edit~ basically I agree with these two who posted while I was typing this up xD
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:21 pm
Dragoon120 says...

Alright, I've written the first chapter...
Resurrection Ch. 1

Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg