z

Young Writers Society

Black Phoenix

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:05 pm
NightWolf says...

I had this idea the other day. It's about a land where phoenixes (you know, flame birds...) exist. But they are hunted. The only way to cause true pain to a phoenix is by touching it with water. To kill it completely (because they can be reborn and that), you have to drown in. The story revolves around Asrin, a young phoenix whose father had been captured by the humans. As she and her mother, Claris, travel to King Lucas' palace (where captured phoenixes are trapped and killed), they learn of a legend. The legend of the black phoenix. The black phoenix has flames as dark as night and is the only one able to free the phoenixes from their persecution. However, she is a human who can shift into the phoenix. Asrin and Claris must coax the flames out of her before they can save Asrin's father and stop the phoenixes being hunted.

Sorry there isn't much detail, it's really late and I'm tired.
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

I really like that!

Non-human protagonists can be a bit tricky, because, well, they're not human. However emotions tend to be universal. The tricky part is more the biology.

I'd start by figuring out what's different between the phoenixes and humans. Do they have hands and feet or claws and wings? Those biological differences determine what they can actually do or not. If they have a rich society (which I'd recommend you create for them) then their culture will be based around where they live and what they can physically do and not with the biology they have.

Good luck!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:26 pm
NightWolf says...

Thanks, Rosey!
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:33 am
Rosendorn says...

Also, determine what sort of things they'd value, not value... while emotions might be the same across all types of protagonists, which traits are cultivated and which ones are downplayed could (and probably should) be different from the human culture!

Edit- By rich, I meant detailed! Not necessarily material wealth.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology