z

Young Writers Society

Opinions

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 am
Moneypwnzb says...

Okay so recently I hit the wall we can writer's block, but last night I did the impossible and got through it. The only idea that came to my head is something I'm not too sure of, so I would appreciate any advice.
Basically my idea is to write about a spy in the near future, who was cursed with life.. Some eight hundred years ago. My idea is to not go into detail about the curse, but just have him trying to stop a biochemical attack in America, Russia, and China, but this isn't the part I need opinions on.
Instead of writing a sequel/sequels, I want to write several prequels. Where my first book is in the future, but each book goes further into his past, and the final prequel would be when he is cursed, watching everyone he loves die etc.
What do you all think? Do you think my prequel idea would be interesting? Something that would keep the readers interested and on their toes?
I'd really appreciate any opinions or advice!
Also, would you recommend going into historical fiction, without vast knowledge of history?
-Vinnie

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:26 pm
View Likes
OliveDreams says...

My opinion?

Doesn't matter what you write to get through a spot of writer's block! The good thing is that you're actually writing! Don't stop!

Also...I do kind of like the idea of writing backwards. I don't think I've ever come across it before! You will need to be very careful about what you do and do not give away in the first book etc. We still need to be surprised as we would be if we were reading on into the future! Does that make sense?

Wow - I can see this could get easily confusing to write. I don't envy you - but I do admire you! Good luck! Let me know how it's going.

Olive <3
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

17 Reviews

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 am
Moneypwnzb says...

So as long as I were to keep secrets from the readers, like the cause of the curse etc. then you think it would be interesting?
And that's what I thought! I've never seen someone going backwards in time with their novels like this! I just thought it would be intriguing!
Thanks for the luck, I'll need it to pull this off xD Now I just have to come up with eras to have my main character .-.

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:10 pm
Clarity says...

You could just have a reeeeaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy long prologue?

The prequel idea sounds fine to be. But, you don't want to drag it along too much because the readers might start thinking "now when does it actually start?"

I like the idea of going back in time. It's original, although unusual. But I say go for it! Every writer has their own little quirk! :)
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:59 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Never been a big fan of prequels, a important part of any story is that wonder, that mystery, those questions, hints for people to find in the writing about their past and experiences. I feel like prequels more often then not take the magic away and can confuse new readers.

However this sounds like a interesting way to handle that, setting up the books in reverse, with each story being further and further back. Assuming you can pull it off without confusing anyone.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

17 Reviews

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:33 am
Moneypwnzb says...

I think I can manage to not confuse anyone to be honest. I plan on adding bits and pieces of his past through out the book, and more so toward the end. I liked the prequel idea because it was original, unique, and if I were to read something like that I'd be super interested. But thanks for your opinions guys :D I appreciate the insight!!
-Vinnie

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher