z

Young Writers Society

Revisiting old story

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:33 pm
niccy_v says...

I've been drifting in and out of this forum for years and yesterday I found an old story I wrote 'firebird' and when I read it was fascinated by how I used to write. My language has changed considerably.

But I thought it was beautiful, a bit creepy-stalker-esque-male character but nothing I haven't tried to rework except it wasn't finished, not really, and I don't want to ruin it, but don't want to leave it alone :shock:

I envy how I wrote it, bad in places, but great in others. I just love how it sounded and has potential in my opinion just so conflicted because I've tried to continue it down four different paths the last few days and they all SUCKED because I was transferring 2013-me to my 2008-me writing styles that ended up clashing horribly. It's annoying me.

Should I keep at it? Or leave it/try to wrap it up into a very short story? I am so glad old theads don't get deleted on here, I keep finding old stories I posted, it's a goldmine :smt004
Writing gives my life purpose

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:53 pm
RLK says...

In my opinion if you're struggling to continue writing it then let it go. I usually never come back to old stories simply because I believe that innovation doesn't come from rewrites. BUT, if you believe that it has potential to be something great and you are really dedicated to seeing that happen then by all means keep trying.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:42 pm
niccy_v says...

Valid point, just that I believe I began to get somewhere, then lost/forgot/gave it up and now I am looking at it, it has potential, just I think my style is a bit too different.

Could just leave it for another few weeks/months/years? Who knows. Aw thanks for replying anything, good point!
Writing gives my life purpose

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:55 pm
RLK says...

What if you rewrote it using your current style of writing? Just dump everything you have and completely start over.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:36 am
Rosendorn says...

I'd keep the draft, and if you're so fascinated by it, rewrite it. Drafts exist to not be touched again, basically. The story itself can be rewritten, or edited, but they're always touched in a new document. You keep the preserved to remind you how you've changed.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:57 am
kirami293 says...

Sounds amazing! I think you should totally revisit it and get on working on it but still save the original draft. Actually you've inspired me. I have this story that I started about 4 years ago. I think I should revisit it too.
-KiraRamĂ­rez

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson