z

Young Writers Society

Curiouser and curiouser

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:34 am
Ravaien says...

Readers of all ages. *coughs and cues the dramatic music* I introduce you to WONDERLAND!

Ok ok, that's a terrible introduction but since no one replied on my last thread and I desperately need some ideas. I've decided to make another thread.

Now on with the idea that's been flashing on and off my head. Is still not finished, and I will give my credit to anyone who comes up with the best idea.

So, a girl named Raven who has schizophrenia experiences a traumatic head injury and slips into a comatose state in which she enters a twisted wonderland. She's trapped there in some kind of time loop, and the four kingdoms (Spades, Clover, Diamond and Heart) are all aiming to capture her for their own reasons.

[I can't figure out the rest! You know even a hint or comment will do fine, is driving me nuts!]

-R
Writing is easy, You just stare at the piece of blank paper until the drop of blood appears on your forehead...

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Hey Ravaien. Okay, so what can we do here?

Rule of Ten
~Sit down on a chair with some paper (it works better than a computer for this exercise, or at least I find so.)
~Write the numbers 1-10. For this one it would probably help to make it higher, like fifteen or twenty.
~Write ten ideas to why each kingdom might want to capture her.

Once you've got all of the easy ideas out then you'll find yourself stuck. This is good! It's not supposed to be easy. Just remember that you're not allowed to leave your seat until you've filled in the last number. To reach that quota, anything goes. The ideas can be as reckless or improbable as you want. Once you break out of the obvious and smash up that 'NO' wall in your head, the things that seem reckless and improbable suddenly seem beautiful.

Let your characters write the story
This option is all to do with developing your characters, and like all idea-generators, it requires an open mind.
~ Sum up who your key characters are and what role they play in the story.
~ Stab them with needles and see what colour they bleed. No, really. Explore every part of their minds. What their favourite food is, what they think the worst sin is.
~ For every answer you find ask two more questions. Keep asking, even if you don't write it down.

Eventually you'll really get to the heart of what makes your character tick. You can find a lot out about yourself this way and explore your own thoughts and prejudices by bending them to accommodate for your characters. Once you've done this, you simply ask what your character wants, and let them go.

Sometimes this will take them in the complete opposite direction of where you want, but just follow and more ideas will come.

Love the imperfect
Create a perfect character, someone strong and noble and kind. Give him a sword to wield and a road to follow. Then break him. Cut off the swordsmans hand. Get him so drunk he can't remember what nobility is. Smash the road in front of him, take everything he has and see how kind he is then when the world has taken all that he loves. Send the good guy down the wrong road and give the bad guy a righteous cause.

Take an idea, any idea, your own or someone else's, then break it. Broken things have a way of moulding themselves into unique and beautiful sculptures. They show history and love and torment that you can never find in something perfect.
We were born to be amazing.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:22 am
Ravaien says...

@Tenyo That's perfect, thank you so much! xD
Writing is easy, You just stare at the piece of blank paper until the drop of blood appears on your forehead...

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:35 pm
Tenyo says...

Any time. Good luck with your project, and Happy Christmas!
We were born to be amazing.

The continuation of our world depends more on the survival of the kindest than it does on the survival of the fittest.
— Arcticus