z

Young Writers Society

Ok - So ridiculously excited with a new idea!

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:36 pm
OliveDreams says...

Picture this:

Think about the most amazing, heart bursting LOVES in our history! Anthony & Cleopatra Victoria & Albert, Prince Edward & Wallis Simpson, Martin Luther King & Coretta Scott King, Anne Boleyn & Henry VIII or even Adam and Eve!

What if they were all the same two people? Brought together again and again throughout the history of time?

Two souls who are constantly reborn into the times of the biggest events in history! At these times, they could be your average joes or they could be the leading figures!

They never remember anything about their past lives, only that they are missing a part of themselves...until the two souls become one. And of course, at some moment, they always do. & then tragedy strikes - one of them leaves the other behind for the cycle to start all over again.

Is there anyway for them to never be separated again?

I took the inspiration for this idea from a line in the song Gravity - by Sara Bareilles

"Something always brings me back to you, it never takes too long."

Sorry if this sounds like a complete mess! I've scribbled it down in an excited fury. hbdebieybfaiefbirfb!

Let me know what you think - I'm thinking about maybe doing it with famous lovers in literary history instead. Tristan & Isolde, Lancelot & Guinivere etc....
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

I think it's a solid concept, but one that will be hard to pull off. You'll essentially be writing three (or however many lives they go through in the course of the novel) stories instead of one, and you'll have to take the well-known stories of famous people/characters, and put a fresh, new light on it.

Personally, I vote you go with the literary lovers.

Make sure you research a lot. You'll want to have a thorough understanding of each period of time the romances take place in. A lot of hard work, obviously, but would also mean a lot of variety in the story, and would constantly keep things fresh and exciting for the reader.

It's an exciting idea, and could work really well.
I wrote the above just for you.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:25 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

I love this idea! It would be so exciting to read. I'd suggest writing the end of one lifetime and then continuing into another... And perhaps they finally figure out the story, and realize what's going on? That would add a mystery and exciting factor to it that I feel like it needs. I know this is new, so I'm not going to nitpick at the plot for awhile, but remember you need conflict. This could be really exciting if you do it well! Research research research! And if you ever post, let me know. (Or just wanna talk plots, I'm down)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:34 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Wow, that's a brilliant idea! God I'm so jealous I didn't think of it first. :wink:

Even though it's tricky, I think you should go with the historical figures rather than literary lovers. The literary thing could be too obscure for some readers, and isolate your audience.

The well-known historical figures you mentioned, on the other hand, are so recognizable that even though it would be some work doing research and all that, the end result would be totally worth it.

Just my two cents, of course, but there you have it. Once again… awesome idea!! :D

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:11 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

It reminds me a lot of a book I've already read... In the end, they're actually angels cast out from heaven and cursed to live and love each other for every one of her mortal lives until she is born unbaptised... I can't remember what it's called
>.<
Last edited by Auxiira on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:19 pm
View Likes
Bugslake says...

Sort of sound like the true identities of Hawk Guy and Hawk Girls true love story. They're from DC comics and this sounds like their actual love story that is never ending and constant.

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 pm
OliveDreams says...

Ahhhhh MAN! it's already been done?! I will have to look at these versions & see how I can do it differently.

I agree - research will be key. I just have to literally finish SOMETHING! New ideas are my curse...I just get so over excited.

Thanks guys!
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:17 pm
Bugslake says...

Hey it's okay. I'm a major super hero geek, I know almost everything about the DC heroes.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:03 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

My biggest caution would be to pick actual love stories in history. Henry VII and Anne Boleyn really do not qualify. He did, after all, behead her so he could be with his new mistress Jane Seymour. Branded Anne as a witch and made his child with her illegitimate to try and completely erase her.

Jane Seymour would actually be a better pick. She died in childbirth before he could grow to hate her (no seriously Henry VIII was a vile, vile man when it came to how he treated his wives).

Also, disregard if it's been done before. Everything has been done before. It is all about the twist you personally put on it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:50 am
Iggy says...

Auxiira wrote:It reminds me a lot of a book I've already read... In the end, they're actually angels cast out from heaven and cursed to live and love each other for every one of her mortal lives until she is born unbaptised... I can't remember what it's called
>.<

@Auxiira, it's called Fallen by Lauren Kate.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:25 am
Auxiira says...

Thaaaaat's the one! Yes! It reminds me of that.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:01 pm
StellaThomas says...

There are a lot of books that follow that "two starcrossed lovers brought together each generation" thread- also this season of the Vampire Diaries- but I've never seen it done with famous couples and I think it would be amazing :)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Random avatar

Reviews: 94
Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:49 pm
defiantAuthoress says...

I think this is a wonderful idea! I really like what someone said about doing literary lovers, and I don't think it would be super obscure if you picked famous ones, but I love the idea of doing normal historical figures as well! I think that there's a lot that you could do with this.
In terms of formatting, I would suggest something along the lines of alternating each chapter. Like, chapter one would be Anthony and Cleopatra, chapter two would be Jane Seymour and Henry Tudor, and chapter three would be Adam and Eve (or whoever, y'know), and then you would alternate throughout the story.
Another idea, if you don't want it to be all jumpy like that, is separating the novel into three parts (or however many parts you want to do, maybe you could have six or so and make each one fairly short, like three chapters?). That way, each storyline can live on its own.
I also think that it's important that, while writing this, you keep the historical figure's actual personalities in mind. Each historical figure should be a different or changed version of the last one. Each one can be used to further the character development, but don't forget them altogether. Am I making sense?
Anyway, I think this is a lovely idea! Have at it, my friend!

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:12 pm
NightWolf says...

This sounds brilliant!
I would go with historical characters (it widens your audience and makes your characters easier to emphasise with).
I have a feeling you could do it as a series, and the final book could be them realising they were the same, they are always the same.
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:14 pm
Sophiewrites says...

amazing idea..

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)