z

Young Writers Society

Writing more than one thing at once?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:37 am
Moneypwnzb says...

Hi, so basically I enjoy writing novels, though I've never finished one, I always found it easier to write two or three things at once, all about different topics, and I was wondering what everyone else did, if others think it's a good idea to do so.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:52 pm
Tenyo says...

Ooh, that's interesting!

I think there are positives and negatives to this. The obvious negative is that you'll be dividing your attention between three things, which may impair your focus. It's much easier to abandon a project when you've got something else that you can switch to and that quickly becomes habit.

The positive is when you get stressed or exhausted with one you can just switch over to another.

I tend to have two or three projects on the go, but I usually rotate my focus, so I'll write one, then leave it for a few weeks while I write another, and then come back and edit. I think if I get too wrapped up in the same project for too long then I lose perspective of it.

And I have my favourite project which I've been working on for a long time, which is just something I do for fun. It's where I throw my characters into random situations just to see what they do. I find it's a necessity when my perfection complex flares up. Never will it see the light of day or make it into publishing or anything like that, but it reminds me that writing is for fun and not for angst.

There have been times, too, when I've been working on two projects that have somehow managed to splice themselves together. I love it when that happens.

Tell me more, I'm curious =D
We were born to be amazing.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:14 pm
Moneypwnzb says...

That's how I am pretty much! I just find it easier to write more than one thin at once, so I don't lose perspective and end up hating my writings, which happens all too often. I just recently started writing again, about a week ago, after having writers block for about a year, and now that I'm back I wanted to make sure it wasn't the wrong thing to do. I've never really gotten to the editing part, always lost hope in my writing, is switching back and editing after a few weeks the better of ways to do it?
Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, I've just lost my way as a writer and I'm hoping to find a new way.

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides