z

Young Writers Society

Please Review My Idea

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:45 pm
WriterBee says...

I would like to start writing a novel. I've got a lot of ideas, thoughts, I've got a rough sketch of conflicts and a timeline of events. So I started by writing this little general overview of my idea:

After getting out of a 2-year abusive relationship (and now being 3 months pregnant), a 24-year-old woman by the name of Sarah, finds comfort and compassion in an old friend and, incidentally, meets someone special. Between many puzzling life questions, family problems, an uncertain future, and a blooming romance, Sarah struggles to find solid group. Along the way, she makes some tough and surprising choices that seal her fate, help her re-discover her true destiny, and re-kindle her belief in true love.

So what do you think? Liking the general idea here?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Hello WriterBee! This probably isn't something that I would read, and I apologize for my bluntness. To me it sounds rather depressing... family problems, uncertainty, love- ugh. It feels like too much, you need something light, happy... Something that stops everything. A new baby could do that. Family would have to stop and think what is most important, people might be forced to get along, true love would even have to be put on hold while things got sorted out...

I think your story could work, if you kept it light and strived for originality. It can't hurt to try, can it?

Sorry, that probably wasn't all that helpful! :-P Oh well. See you around!
100% autistic

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You have pretty much exactly that: a general idea.

I'm not actually going to review this, because the idea is so general that there isn't anything particular I can look at. You have lots of generals, and your idea sounds kind of interesting, but I personally don't review any ideas that have so much wiggle room that they can literally be of any quality level.

I'd find something that doesn't sound generic. Learning to love again is a pretty standard plot, so you need to have something a little bit more solid for me to have an idea what twist you'll put on the generic and make it interesting.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:22 am
WriterBee says...

You're right. My idea sounds general. But as a matter of fact, it isn't general at all. It's full of twists and turns and interesting things. But how do I convey that? When I went to write this idea, I didn't know how to summarize the general idea without making it sound so damn general. Lol How can I offer up my novel idea without writing 50 pages explaining it? Any suggestions?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:14 am
View Likes
irsyad23 says...

I personally like your idea. It is of drama/romance genres which is quite interesting. But this is quite a cliche idea, but cliche idea can be very interesting if you write it beautifully, which means written with deep emotion.

I suggest you include something that is unpredictable, some twists at the end, perhaps. Determine the antagonist of your story and let the characters play and interact naturally with each other.

Sorry, this is just my thought. Anyway, good luck on writing your story and keep it up! :)
If you can't fly, then run. If you can't run, then walk. If you can't walk then crawl. No matter how hard it is, just keep moving forward.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:37 am
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Hey Bee!

The general idea sounds interesting, but I think the best thing you could do now is write up something and put it up for a review. Rosey was right when she said that there isn't much to review here, but since you added in that it's full of twists and turns I'm a bit interested.

If you don't have anything written on it, try adding in what conflicts you intend to bring up and something more about your main characters. Once you flesh this out then it'll be easier to see in what direction you mean to take it, and therefor easier for us to review and help you out with. :)

-RP
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:38 am
View Likes
rikkidas says...

Is this going to be yet another romantic novel. I really do not know much about this genre. Is writing romantic novel not a very difficult task.
Even if it is romantic please do add some mystery,suspense and some really cool technology please.
Wishing you all the very best.
Thanks and Regards,
Rikki.Das

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:44 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

WriterBee wrote:You're right. My idea sounds general. But as a matter of fact, it isn't general at all. It's full of twists and turns and interesting things. But how do I convey that? When I went to write this idea, I didn't know how to summarize the general idea without making it sound so damn general. Lol How can I offer up my novel idea without writing 50 pages explaining it? Any suggestions?

Put in exact events that are out of the ordinary. Right now, you have general types of plots, such as:

-getting out of a 2-year abusive relationship
-a woman finds comfort and compassion in an old friend
-meets someone special
-many puzzling life questions, family problems, an uncertain future, and a blooming romance
-she makes some tough and surprising choices that seal her fate, help her re-discover her true destiny, and re-kindle her belief in true love

Those are all types of plots that anybody can go through (in some cases, such as the last two points, are plots 99% of protagonists go through). I'd ask yourself:

- What made her leave that abusive relationship? Family, friends, her baby? It takes a lot of strength to leave an abusive relationship, especially if you'd become financially dependent on your partner.
- What made the friend take her in? What is that friend's personality? Why did she go to that particular friend instead of any other friend?
- What makes that person special and how did she meet them? Is he a friend at first or is it immediate infatuation?
-Lumping the last two points I pulled together because they're the most generic. Plots are nothing more than protagonist choices. Bottom line, that's what they are. A book is watching the protagonist change through the choices they make given what resources they have. They have uncertainty, they have family problems, they have basically everything you described.

What about those events is so life changing? Does she end up giving birth to a stillborn child? Does the guy end up being in a similar position to her, having just left an abusive relationship? Is he incredibly imperfect in terms of little things but she goes with him anyway? Does her family celebrate or disown her for leaving the relationship? Do they not like her new guy and think she was better with the old one? Sometimes parents can get more attached to their child's partner than the child themselves.

Take your ideas out of the general that all protagonists go through and give yourself exact events that change her life. You can say you have twists and turns all you want, but if you keep them so generic literally any protagonist can and has gone through them then you will have readers not bothering to pick up the story.

It is the concrete events that make or break a story. The general life stages everybody goes through. The specifics are unique to your character.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour