z

Young Writers Society

New Story!

Which title name suits my book idea best?

What Makes Us Girls
No votes
Them
No votes
Life Makes Love Look Hard
25%
Soul Sister
50%
Young & Beautiful
25%
Love Club
No votes
People Like Us
No votes

Total votes : 4

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:10 am
lakegirls says...

Hey all!

So as you can see in my description I've started a new story, after about 10 years working on the same book... (hides face from judgy people). What I really need help with is naming it. I'm using this story for NaNoWriMo this year and I want to have a name and everything all ready to go for November 1st because when I don't name things I freak out and stop writing.

A little bit about the story...

Description:
Best friends Raya and Avery knew they would always be together, or so Raya thought. But when a night of wild partying sends Avery on a plane back to her mother without so much as a goodbye to Raya, Raya really starts to wonder what their friendship meant to Avery and how much she was willing to abandon to keep her secrets safe.

Not to ruin the ending or anything but basically what happens is when Avery moves away Raya goes a little crazy and everyone thinks it's because her best friend left but REALLY it's because 3 days before Avery unexpectedly moved they took Avery's dad's car out when they were high and got into a hit & run (is that how you'd say that?) which lead to one of their classmates deaths. Avery pretends the whole thing never happened and encourages Raya to do the same but she can't forget what they did and it ultimately leads Raya to kill herself.

I have a few title ideas so I just wanted opinions on what title would best suit my story.

Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:19 am
Messenger says...

Well, I know this wasn't on your suggestions, but I think Hit and Run would be a good title.

135 Reviews

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:08 am
lakegirls says...

One of my friends suggested that but I think it would be too obvious. I don't want readers to know until the end of the book that that's the reason why Avery moved away.
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

663 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:23 am
Messenger says...

I don't think it would. If you give no really obvious clues than I think it will just be intriguing to the reader. I really didn't think the other choice made a lot of sense fort he storyline. but of course I haven't read it or written it so they may make more sense to you.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:39 pm
Tenyo says...

I agree that Hit and Run is a bit... bland. It's like something that seems cryptic but at the final revelation will actually be a bit disenchanting.

What Makes us Girls is odd, because killing someone isn't really what makes you a girl >.<

Them is too plain and generic. You want something with a bit more of an edge to it..

Life Makes Love Look Hard, and Love Club both seem to point towards a romantic obsession. If you want to play it like that in the novel I guess it's fine, but the titles don't really allude to the real reason.

Soul Sister reminds me of that song XD And gives me the initial impression of something far more upbeat. However, I think it would be great for the theme of the novel, especially if you can play the death of the classmate into the soul thing.

Young and Beautiful, however, I like. I guess because it's that idolisation of what youth is about, when really what these girls are dealing with is something far from that.

I like People Like Us, too. It reminds me of stereotyping when people refer to 'people like them.' It would be so easy to class two young girls in a hit and run as reckless killers and condemn them, unless you actually saw what went on behind the scenes.

To conclude? I would say if you want to play up on the loss of childhood (for the victim and the girls) then go with Young and Beautiful. If you want to play up on the crime and its psychological effects, then go with People Like Us.

The story sounds so cool, too. It's the kind of thing I would definitely read if I found it in the shops. Except for the suicide part, I hate tragedies ='[

Good luck and work hard on it!
We were born to be amazing.

135 Reviews

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:40 pm
lakegirls says...

Hey! Thanks so much for all the responses :) You've all been so helpful! I have another title idea: Under The Influence. I think it would be fitting because they're under the influence when they commit the crime and Raya is also under the influence of Avery. I really like Young & Beautiful as well though :)

Happy Writing!

-Nicole
-Gloria Steinem

663 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:46 pm
Messenger says...

I think that could be a good title. All your ideas are pretty good. I like to make my titles eye-catching, and I think most of yours do that.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:17 am
Dreamy says...

I think "Under the influence" suits well.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:43 pm
Tenyo says...

Ooh, double meaning title. I love it!
We were born to be amazing.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 pm
LadySpark says...

Darling, I just wanted to drop by and say I really like this plot. I'd read it, so if you ever want someone to look over your NaNoWriMo, I'm your gal! :D

hm, Under the Influence is okay, but I personally like Young and Beautiful better. It's always your choice though! <3 Good luck for NaNo!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

I just write poetry to throw my mean callous heartless exterior into sharp relief. I’m going to throw you off the ship anyway.
— Vogon Captain (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)