z

Young Writers Society

What would you do?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:21 pm
View Likes
LadyLazarus says...

So, in my current story, I have a situation I'm not sure what to do with. It's not a serious plot hole or anything, but I want to understand it before trying to write it. And I think the best way of explaining it is putting it into your perspective:

You live in a fantasy world, your sister is the queen. The country is invaded and in one night of insurgence, your sister is killed while you both try to escape. The country is now in the hands of the enemy, the soldiers are everywhere, and you are hiding in the forest with your sister's body. You know if they find the body of the dead queen they will desecrate her body and display it publicly. You have no means of digging a grave, but you want to hide her body so no one will find it. What do you do?

The reason I ask is because originally I was going to have the protagonist sink the body in the loch by putting the body in a rifle crate, filling it with rocks, and pushing it off a cliff, but my sense returned shortly and I realised this is far too complicated. So, any ideas or input would be appreciated. Like I said, it isn't a plot hole, but it's been nagging at me for a while. Help would be lovely.

~Laz

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:28 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

I read once about a body that was buried in a hollow rotten fallen tree trunk, and then sealed with mud and leaves.

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:47 am
Cheetah says...

I agree with TheMessenger, something like that would be good, especially since she's in the forest. Good luck!
And passersby who heard his echoing laughter wondered what kind of grief man had to go through before he could laugh so free.

363 Reviews

Reviews: 363
Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:18 am
DreamWork says...

Interesting story.
You know if they find the body of the dead queen they will desecrate her body and display it publicly. You have no means of digging a grave, but you want to hide her body so no one will find it. What do you do?

Maybe you can add one character to help 'you' to hide her body. Like a sorcerer! This is a fantasy story, you can do anything with this kind of genre ;)
Dream high

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:46 am
LadyLazarus says...

TheMessenger wrote:I read once about a body that was buried in a hollow rotten fallen tree trunk, and then sealed with mud and leaves.

Ooh, good idea! That just might work. And it has a certain ethereal quality to it, that my protagonist might one day return to the tree. :) Much appreciated.

DreamWork wrote:Interesting story.
Maybe you can add one character to help 'you' to hide her body. Like a sorcerer! This is a fantasy story, you can do anything with this kind of genre ;)

True, you can. :) But I think the solemnity and franticness of the situation might be dimmed by adding another character. I want her to be utterly alone and acting out of fear and partial madness. Thanks for helping though! :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:38 pm
Rosendorn says...

Sources of deep and/or running water+ stones well secured in clothing so the body doesn't float= sunk body.

Also, something to cover the smell of death (hence the specification the water be deep and/or running, a trunk that already stinks) is important. Death stinks badly and is a very hard smell to get out/mask.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:56 am
BadNarrator says...

it depends on what kind of woman my sister was when she was alive. if she was the typical fair-maiden you see so often in fantasy then I'd probably just build a pyre out of dead branches and burn the body.

if she was a strong-willed, confrontational type of person, the type of woman who owns more guns than Ted Nugent, then I'd set up a ruse for the enemy. boobie-trap her body and leave it out in the open. then, when they desecrate her body and put it on display, I'd blow them all to kingdom come. she would've wanted it that way.

though this also depends on your protagonist as well as the overall tone of the story you're writing.
First you will awake in disbelief, then
in sadness and grief and when you wake
the last time, the forest you've been
looking for will turn out to be
right in the middle of your chest.

"Death is cheap, and so is life, but a reputation is not easily recovered."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi