z

Young Writers Society

A novel in honor of my aunt (creative help wanted!)

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:08 pm
Cole says...

So, my great aunt Christie (Christina Mater) recently passed away from cancer. She was like a grandmother to me, so I want to write a novel in her honor. It's going to roughly allude to Joan of Arc and St. Catherine. It will be a novel about visions, dreams, and spirituality. I want it to be whimsical and mystical, just like my aunt, who talked to angels and saints, wore crystals because she believed in their healing power, and was incredibly joyful, lighthearted, and loved to sing.

Anyway, what I need help with is a name for a character who will symbolize my aunt. I don't want to directly use her name, but I would like it to be meaningful. I thought of looking into variations or changing letters of her own name or a common nickname the family called her by, which was "Doobadee." Think you can help? Thanks!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:56 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Deedee is the name that came to mind, or Daphne.

There is also doing a meaning search? Take the meaning of her name and find another name with a similar meaning. That, or look for the meaning you want to capture and search for it (and synonyms of that meaning, because it might not show up) and see what name fits.

Hope this helps. Sorry for your great aunt passing, and glad you're using that as inspiration. She sounds like a wonderful person!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:04 pm
Cole says...

Thanks for the help!

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:55 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Naming people is my favorite thing to do! :D

So, a few came to mind when I read this, and I also looked up a few name meanings as well.

Caprice, which means whimsical and the orgin is french.
Dionne, which means divine, and who's orgin is also french.
Diantha, which means divine flower, and the orgin is greek.
Odina, divine creative inspiration, Scandinavian.

I thought these applied, not only because a couple of them bring the nickname part in you were talking about, but also because of their meaning. Hope your novel goes well, and so sorry about your aunt.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Random avatar

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:00 pm
Cole says...

Thank you Spark!

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:12 pm
View Likes
EmilyofREL says...

If you're still needing help, I like Daphne. I also think of names like Julia, Libby, Azule, Scarlet...color names seem particularly unique and whimsical without being odd. Good luck!
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13