z

Young Writers Society

Do you guys do this?

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 am
thewriterinside says...

I don't know if other writers do this, but when I write a story, sometimes I slip in little "Easter Eggs". (That's what they call them in the film business anyway.) For instance, my mom's birthday is August 24th. (8-24) In my most recent novel, Unbroken, the number of the hotel room that my characters stay at is room number 824.

Do you guys do this? I'd love to hear about other Easter Eggs, whether they're intentional or not.
I left my heart in
● Metropolis...●

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:27 pm
Tenyo says...

That's interesting. I've never done it with stuff like family birthdays, I guess because I don't think my readers would ever understand it.

I slip in random things that are just about subtle enough to dodge copyright laws. Like when one character says 'I'm gonna smash your head half way to infinity...' and then someone else very quickly chips in with '...and beyond! That's the best part, beyond the hills you'll see the castle,' e.c.t
We were born to be amazing.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:36 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Most of my minor characters in Chasing Dragons have names derived from YWS in some way- King Sinclair was named after my character in Pokébook, Queen Anneliese was named after my nickname for Jabber, the MC's mother is called Heather after Rydia and Nathaniel Bolt, the love interest, got his name from Nate and Bolt. Also the Ribbon family is an inside joke with me and a few other YWSers, and Charlie Ribbon is after Charlie II...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer