z

Young Writers Society

Religious themed story

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:58 pm
View Likes
Firsthorseman says...

So I'm new to this site and about to start my first book. The idea is a story based on religious themes from the book of revelations set in the present. Anyone think this is a good/bad/terrible idea or have any questions or advice to offer? Much appreciated :)

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:02 pm
Kevikur says...

Welcome to YWS! I already like this idea you have, and I say you should do it. No idea is a bad one as long as you make sure it's not the common story and give it some good characters and interesting plot line.

Let me know if you decide to write it and post it! I'll be more than happy to review (-:

-Kev
"Blood is really warm, it's like drinking hot chocolate but with more screaming."
-Ryan Mecum

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:48 pm
Firsthorseman says...

Thanks! I'm sure I'll take you up on that offer as soon as I have some work to show :)

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm
Noelle says...

I actually posted part of a religious themed novel I'm working on. I found that if people wanted to read it they did. And if they weren't comfortable reading it they didn't. I think that's one of the great things about this site. You can post your works without the fear of being judged or being told what you can and can't write about.

I say go ahead and post it. You'll get reviews no matter what the topic.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:32 pm
Shady says...

I think that's a great idea! Revelations is such a great book. I mean, it's dark and fairly disturbing-- but I think it would make a great novel. However, it could be tricky-- because you want to have unique, interesting characters, without mangling it, because, well, it is based off of the Bible.

But, yeah, like Kev said-- if you do write it, and post it, be sure to let me know. I'd be happy to review that. ^-^

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 pm
Rosendorn says...

Considering the seven deadly sins are one of the most common themes in novels, go for it. Inspiration can come from absolutely everywhere and it's best to follow it where it leads you.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:48 pm
Cole says...

My most recent novel is called 'The Stones in Their Hearts' and it takes place in fictional Jezreel, South Carolina.

It follows the stories of a collection of characters: Hezekiah 'Heck' Porter, an institutionalized, orphaned modern-day prophet who is mute; Bethany Wake, the seventeen-year-old daughter of a religious zealot; Thom Catcher, a retired police officer who became a staunch atheist after the death of his daughter; and Lorelei Hargrove, a beautiful peach orchard owner and a secret leader of a violent Satanic cult.

The story, however, has symbols from Jeremiah's ministry, the fall of the devil from heaven, and the Assumption of the Virgin. It is also an allegory for the conflict between prophet Elijah and the wicked Phoenician queen Jezebel.

Religious symbolism works very well in stories and I always encourage its use!

Revelation has a lot of terrifying themes, but it also has so much symbolism that if you try to implant too much of it into a story, it can be overdone.

If you need help, just message me!

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:20 am
niteowl says...

Hi there Firsthorseman!

Hm...the book of Revelations set in the present day? Kind of sounds like the extremely popular Left Behind series,currently being made into a movie starring Nicolas Cage.

Now, you might have already read these books, but if you haven't, I'd at least be familiar with the plot. Obviously you'd be working with the same source material, but try to make the story different enough. Make unique characters, use a less literal interpretation, etc. If you can pull it off, it could be a very interesting read.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:51 am
Firsthorseman says...

Thanks, I hadn't heard of the series but will definitely check it out

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:37 pm
LeoPenrhythm says...

good idea...I like it...The only thing I would suggest you is not to tweak it completely, for there are many religious fanatics out there :x but do write it in a way where you reflect what you think about the book of revelation..say make one character who will represent you, and you can through his voice project your understanding of it...witty enough.. :D Give an interesting twist to the seven sins..you can also add more if you feel like...See, that's what i'm talking about...looking forward to read it...make it a blend of fact, fiction and reality...

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
— Steve Martin