z

Young Writers Society

How would you pronounce....

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:24 pm
Lioness says...

Hello!
During the writing of my new novel, Daemon: Lost Spirit, I have found a name I want for the daemon of my main character. And no, it is not a Philip Pullman spinoff.
Daemons are summoned at the age of thirteen, and safe guard the spirit of the human. They stop changing forms at eighteen.
Anyways, I would pronounce the daemon's name, Ruiniquiem as: Ruin-e-qeem
How would you? I would really like to know.
Also, you can use this topic for anything to do with pronunciation of words and such.
Lioness
Only a writer could cry about killing off a fictional character, mainly 'cause we wrote it down in pen, and therefore never be able to change it.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:49 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Honestly I wouldn't worry much about it unless it's absolutely completely plot specific that the character have that exact pronunciation. In which case you'd likely need to include some sort of pronunciation guide within the story itself, or have a character mispronounce the name only to have another character correct them.

People are going to mispronounce words all the time, so just name them what you want. :)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:35 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Ru-win-ee-kwim.

And as Rosey said, people are going to mispronounce the name often. I once read an entire novel through which my reading partner insisted on renaming 'Nalidi' as 'Naldi,' 'Naylidy,' and finally he gave up and called her 'Nailed-it.' Go with what works for you.

Just try to keep in mind that overly complicated names or strange pronunciations get annoying, so keep it easy for your readers sake.
We were born to be amazing.

Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
— Francis Bacon