z

Young Writers Society

Weird writing quirks?

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:45 am
View Likes
thewriterinside says...

Do you guys have any weird writing quirks?
I know this isn't directly about writing, but when I write, I have to have my hair in a ponytail. And I can't write in the morning. I only write at night.
I want to hear your little quirks and habits.
I left my heart in
● Metropolis...●

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:31 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

Well for me, I can't write untill its dark, less noise and less people mostly no people at all. :wink:
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:05 pm
Auxiira says...

I have to have had at least one coffee, but I can write pretty much whenever and wherever
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:15 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

Oi, quirks.

I do the coffee thing, too. I bite my pens. Before I actually start writing the chapter/scene, I have to tell myself what it's about, so if I'm trying to write that fight scene in chapter three, before I can get that first sentence down, I have to type to myself: This is the scene where X dies after slaughtering such and such, just as a way of focusing my thoughts towards that end goal.

I'm also a fiddler/plotter/procrastinator -- so I have photographs, notes, scraps, doodles, charts, plot outlines and all sorts of other things crammed and stuffed into a binder.

Writing for me is much the same as a three year old on white carpet with pretty paintstuffs.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:20 pm
View Likes
dreamwalkeramrita says...

Even I can only work at night!

And I have to write it all in one go...if I try to take too long of a break in between, I can't finish it...which is why I usually write poetry, vignettes or short stories.

Sometimes I draw character concepts to help with my characterization...or just for fun!

Girl Low Quality.jpg
Character concept drawn in Photoshop CS5

Low Quality Boy.jpg
Character concept drawn in Photoshop CS5

Oh, and I never give my characters names! I don't know why...but they become LESS real to me if I give them names...so unless its integral to the plot or something, I never name my characters! (I loved how the main character in Rebecca never revealed her name)

When I was younger, I wouldn't even give titles to my poems...I used to feel like categorizing them would reduce their literary value or something (Yeah, right.)

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:43 am
RebeccaZeno says...

I start off by thinking about what I'm going to write(I'll end up writing about 300-500 words) then I'll pause. Check the internet for incoming emails, etc. and then repeat. I can write anytime of the day, but I think I'm best at night. I also can't write on anything except a computer, preferably my laptop being on my lap.
"Don't give up after you've put your effort into trying"
"If you love someone, put their name in a circle; because hearts can be broken, but circles never end." Karen Amanda Hooper, Grasping At Eternity

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:31 am
WritersCanDream77 says...

I always have to have music on. For some reason I work best when there is noise around me because I'm just like that. I don't even care if the music doesn't go along with what I'm writing. If it's a slow song for something with action, it doesn't matter as long as I have music.

I guess for me I can write any time of the day but it's better if I do it at night, where it's more calmer and less hectic in the house. I can still write in the morning, though, but it would be harder to concentrate, even with music on.

I don't really have much...

394 Reviews

Reviews: 394
Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:31 am
KnightTeen says...

I do a lot of pen-writing, but I also do a lot of typing as well.

Either way, I have to have a giant thermos full of ice-water, chewing gum on hand, and my iPod for music and distractions.

If I have my computer, I have to have my back cushioned. In the bed, on the couch, I don't care as long as it's soft.

If I have my notebook, I have to be sitting in a hard chair, at a desk, or on the floor.

And I normally have to write out my plotline for the chapter before I do anything.
Screw Yolo. I'm a cat. Nine lives losers!

I think I used to be HomeschooledTeen

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:51 am
AGWilliams says...

Haha I also work better at night. Sometimes I might purposely put aside a whole day to get lots of writing done, but until evening passes I just manage a few measley bulletpoints :p

I have a set of stock names which I search+replace when I think of new ones for non-important characters, but I guess that isn't too unusual?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:37 am
View Likes
BobBaratheon says...

Coffee is a catalyst for me also.

I love my sleep schedule in that I get up so early that the world is still asleep. This is when my world exists, when my muse is awake and the rest of the world cannot interfere. It's as though when I know everyone is awake and bustling about, it overshadows my own. It just distracts me.

Which moves on to my need for solitude. I can't have people around me making noise, playing games, etc. Sometimes music helps but generally I love the sound of a fan blowing air across the room and peaceful silence of a world in a coma...XD

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:21 pm
LittleCaroleen says...

Haha, I love my writing quirks, and I tend to have a lot. It has to be completely silent. I should only here the scratching of pen against paper or the sound of keys typing. Those are my two favorite sounds anyways. I write my very best whenever it's raining or during the night time. For whatever reason my inspiration comes out more during these times. Also, I like to have a fountain Dr. Pepper drink. It isn't a must, but it's a definite plus
LITTLE.CAROLEEN

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 pm
View Likes
CowLogic says...

I can only write upside down. My writing has never been successful, but I have received compensation for my endeavors by attaining the world record for longest handstand.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

530 Reviews

Reviews: 530
Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 pm
View Likes
Renard says...

I have written practically everywhere: in the bath, on the toilet, outside, inside, upside down, sideways, with my other hand, tried with my feet.
It's important to find a system that works for you I think. I've used different coloured pens, pencils, chalk... all different materials. And they all generate a different creative energy. So find yours... :)

Yours in ink

~Bloodink
This is the same colour as cheese XD

No longer Bloodink. No longer BloodinkSeesFootage. Now: Renard. ;)

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:04 pm
View Likes
NerdBird says...

I always write my best in a certain Starbucks in town.
No idea why. I just do.
I don't have a coffee or anything. I sit by the window and people watch and the words just flow off the page.

I almost always try to think about a scene or plot point from my story before I go to sleep, as for me personally, this increases the chance of my dreams solving the problem for me.
My ideas are drawn a lot from my vivid dreams, it makes sense that the answers to my troubles would be there too!

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6