z

Young Writers Society

new here

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 pm
Copp13 says...

Hey I'm new here if people could check out my short stories and tell me what you think, also check out my tumblr where my writings go first plus my philosophy and poetry http://god-of-infernos.tumblr.com/

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Hello. I just thought you ought to be aware that posting writing on Tumblr is not really a good idea if you want to get published in the future. As Tumblr states in its ToS:

One thing you should consider before posting: When you make something publicly available on the Internet, it becomes practically impossible to take down all copies of it.

Basically, every time your posts are reblogged, that's another copy of your story circulating on the internet, and it's a copy you no longer have control over. Essentially, by posting your writing on Tumblr, you're giving up your first publishing rights, which tend to be the most valuable rights and the ones publishers want to buy.

This isn't really a problem if you're not planning on publishing the stories you post on your tumblr, but if you do want to get published, you should find a different place to host your writing which allows you to remove the content completely and easily. YWS is actually pretty good with this, and you retain all your rights, including first publication (though you'll want to double check with any publishers you are considering submitting to first as different publishers have different definition of publishing on the internet).

This article goes into a bit more detail about first publishing rights, if you're interested.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:10 am
Copp13 says...

tbanks for the advice. But none of the stuff I post on tumblr will most likely be published, if i try to get something published it will be new content not posted there. The content on tumblr is just some spontaneous stories i have written in my free time and not too many people see it because i'm not very popular on there besides with my close friends from school.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:36 am
Tenyo says...

Welcome to YWS!

Unfortunately I don't have Tumblr >.< But if you post your work on the forums and send me a link I'd be more than happy to review.

Critiques tend to be more indepth and a little more critical than your average 'hey I like this' that you might find on Tumblr, but they help a lot to improve your writing and also teach you to be thick-skinned, which is really important if you go into publishing.
We were born to be amazing.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

"A little" might be an understatement, depending on who you ask to review your work.

But yes, as Tenyo said, the critiques you get on YWS can help you reach any sort of publishing and improvement goals you have. Plus you critique to be part of the community, and in the process you improve because you think critically about what you like and not in writing.

G'luck!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:40 pm
Jonathan says...

Welcome to YWS young one.
There seems to be nothing written here. :shock:

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin