z

Young Writers Society

What inspires you to write?

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:32 am
View Likes
thewriterinside says...

I think everyone has something different that triggers that voice in your head that says "GO WRITE THIS DOWN NOW". Personally, I write better at night, and I have to be alone. Music is a big help to me, specifically Lindsey Stirling. What inspires you to write?
I left my heart in
● Metropolis...●

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:53 am
View Likes
SecreteJournalist says...

Writing is letting out that emotion that you just cant put to words, not until its out on paper. To me, its not an inspiration, but more of a calling. As we grow older, we know what our true destiny is in life. And to a writer, it seems as if the destiny is coming in a reach. We get an idea, and write it down in a way unheard of. Creating new worlds, its just fantastic. Writing is my life </3
"I write for fear of silence." Apartment - Young The Giant

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:21 am
View Likes
EnigmaticSpirit says...

To me, like SecreteJournalist said, it's not an inspiration but more of an irresistible urge to create your own worlds where you are in control. You control the characters and everything that happens around them. It is up to you whether the protagonist lives a happy, full-on life or whether they are depressed and lonely.

Sometimes, it is inspiration from seeing writers such as Stephen King and George R R Martin that makes me think I want to be like them in the sense that their works are outstanding and breath-taking. At other times, it can be from your goals to achieve getting your works published. You are reminded of your own goals and you look at your unfinished work and you set a task for yourself to complete this unfinished world you've created for the rest of the night.

Most of the times it's just for the thrill. To me, writing is like an addictive drug that I can't enough hold of. You can spend hours and hours at a time writing on your computer/laptop/tablet or on a piece of paper but it's not enough. If you know you can write superbly, it's a gift that you can work on and use that can create many achievements in your life.

I write purely for the thrill it gives me and because many people (such as YWSers) have encouraged me to carry on with my writing and have praised me for my work. I love writing and I feel as though I was born to be a writer.
Words cut deeper than knives.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:01 am
View Likes
skorlir says...

Mania. Mostly mania. And times when strings of words just peanut butter applesauce cream and sugar coffee crusty macaroons and purple nuggets buster truck butts.

Sometimes I'm just trying to sleep.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:35 am
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

People | Life | inspiration | Hope | Love | My imagination/mind.
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:27 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

I love to write in the night too. But if I hear music, I'll end up writing the lyrics of the song :P . Jokes apart, I love to observe the people, if I find any one interesting I'll make my character out of them. :)
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 pm
View Likes
spinelli says...

I've been writing since I was around 8 or 9 [20 now :p] and so I've given it quite some consideration over the years. More consideration than I thought, in hindsight, given the length of this reply... SORRY, KIDS!

When I was little, even before I started formally writing, it was constant adventure and imagination that led me there. If we went anywhere different, a bustling store, a large field, along a new road I've never been, these things all drove me into some potentially obnoxious exploration into a totally new world. I mean, I was basically ridiculous, imagining I was at this crazy place, doing this crazy thing, with these crazy imaginary friends. Turns out these places would turn into "settings," the things into "plot," and my imaginary friends into "characters."

I used to write to make stuff up and to be clever. I loved to make my friends curious about what would happen next. "Oh, it feels so creepy." "This place sounds awesome!"

My teachers started to like it and told me I was sarcastic and original. I started an essay with "You know" as a full sentence once and my teacher laughed approvingly when she saw my name at the top because "oh yeah, that's totally something she would do."

I wrote because it was fun.

I got into middle school/high school, and my stories turned into "themes." They had these thoughts to them, and I started unknowingly using things called "figurative devices" to make points about stuff, and I wanted readers to consider things about themselves or society or whatever a 15-year-old thought the world would be inspired by.

I wrote because I had something to say.

I kept up this gig until college where I was super happy about life and stuff because it was going pretty alright. I had a lot of thoughts and things that I wanted to write because writing was the way I thought was most beautiful to express ideas. They made things seem tangible and I wanted people to pick up my ideas and sit with them for a while to maybe help them be as happy as me too.

For a while people read my stuff and thought it was real cool, and "wow, you're a really good writer." Super cool, I mean, this is what I love to do, you know. It's just what I do. Write down my feelings and things so people can get something out of it, you know.

But then I tried explaining to people why clouds are so beautiful because they float even though they have an awful lot to be scared of. I thought this might comfort some people, but they just thought I was stupid because clouds don't have feelings.

And I always wanted to adventure and explore but no one thought my metaphor about streets in the nighttime was anything at all because we drive the streets all day, they're just streets.

I also think they hated my desire to go for walks because it's Texas and it's hot outside and apparently walks are kind of boring to people.

At this stage in my literary life, I'm having to deal with a very painful observation, that maybe right now I have to write because no one listens.

When I try to physically say something, no one listens. When I write in my notebook, though no one may be reading it, I can at least pretend they are.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm
View Likes
KittyCatMeow says...

Boredom...
is that weird?
Whee. I don't even know what to put here.

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:53 pm
View Likes
Clarity says...

The emotion I feel at that moment in time.
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:08 pm
View Likes
Twinkle4ever says...

For me, I'm always living in an imaginary world of mine where things happen that could never actually happen in the real world. And at times those things are too much, I wish to see them with my own eyes, be in those places, experience those emotions, all that led me to writing it all down. And also somehow led me to dreaming very bizarrely at night.

Because once I start writing, I'm no longer in the real world. And I love it that way, especially when life is hard and not exactly going the way you want it to. =)

Btw, to spinelli, I really like the way you think. =]
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:23 am
BadNarrator says...

negative emotions. I'm a fiction writer. from my perspective in order for a story to be a story there needs to be conflict which the plot addresses in some way. therefore the best time for me to write is in time of discomfort, depression or crisis; when something is going wrong in my life. the negative emotion can come from a minor inconvenience, such as having to sleep in an airport. or it can come from something major like a family member being hospitalized.

I'm not one of those people who treats writing like an escape from reality. that's what reading and critiquing are for. instead I like to think of it as a healthy way for me to address or acknowledge the issues and flaws and negative aspects of my life. in the past I've often found myself seeking out conflict. like experimenting with drugs, or picking fights with people, or taking a job in the frozen, mosquito infested butthole of the northern hemisphere. writing fiction, for me, is a deterrent from indulging in the bad behaviors of the people around me.

I've never been able to understand the people who talk about how much joy inspires them to create. some of what I consider to be my best work was written in the times when I've felt the most like crap.
First you will awake in disbelief, then
in sadness and grief and when you wake
the last time, the forest you've been
looking for will turn out to be
right in the middle of your chest.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:45 pm
mistielovesyou says...

My writing is mostly ideas I have accumulated and thought up and filtered through. And writing is a great medium to get those ideas across. It makes me feel more full, more productive. I really love it. I wouldn't say "it's a part of me" or that i was "born to write" but i was born with feelings and an imagination and writing is one of the best ways to communicate those things.
mistura is awesome and she loves you

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:09 pm
kwameagyapong says...

All i do is look around. My environment inspires me to bring out all that is in me.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:47 am
dreamwalkeramrita says...

Writing for me is something of a compulsion. Even though I'm a fiction writer, all my work is at least semi-autobiographical, or metaphorical. Every time a thought, memory or idea seizes me, it's like the story controls me. And then I feel compelled to write it down (or in my case type it) before it slips away. I don't even take breaks, I just write the story in one sitting.

I usually write at night, which is when I feel the most introspective. I've often been inspired by dreams. And more often than not, bittersweet or negative emotions or memories are the ones that create more of an impact on me...so I tend to write about them more.

In fact, I even have this theory. Writing for me is sort of like imparting those specific emotions, diluting them somehow. When I was a kid, every time I got really upset I'd write something, and the pain would sort of fade away. So I don't like writing about anything happy. When I'm happy I just sit back and enjoy the feeling...I don't think about it that much, LOL.

they got that magical iridescence that you don't expect to be on a sky rat y'know
— Ari11