z

Young Writers Society

Story Idea-Good or bad?

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:58 pm
hockeyfan87 says...

I write best when I write about my emotions, and what better way to do that then to write about my life. I want to write about a girl, who will be similar to me yet not me at the same time, who is dating this guy and they are happy and everything until she realizes she actually is in love with her best friends brother but her best friend doesn't accept it, so they hide the relationship. Eventually her best friend finds out etc etc etc. However, I want to start it out as like a diary entry, and then build off of that? Is that ok or should I do something different? I suck at starting stories.
when you grow up you realize that Prince Charming is not as easy to find as you thought. You realize the bad guy is not wearing a black cape and he's not easy to spot; he's really funny, and he makes you laugh, and he has perfect hair and isnt wearing a black cape and easy to spot Lots of Love Jenn

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:24 am
View Likes
scotty.knows says...

That sounds like a great idea for a story and a great idea for the beginning.

When I first started writing, it really helped me to write things that I had been feeling or experiencing. It's an easy step from here to juxtapose your newly forged character (who is really a version of yourself) into your writing and put them into all manners of fanciful situations.

Thus, a great deal of my earlier work revolves around misunderstood and lonely males struggling with inadequacy issues versus aliens, evil corporations, evil geniuses, zombie armies, and other equally terrible forces of darkness.

Starting a story with a diary entry is actually a fairly popular writing technique. Some stories are not actually written with actual internal dialogue and they instead document the efforts of the protagonist indirectly.

"We Need To Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver is a great example of this. In this book, a mother writes to her husband about their son Kevin. I don't want to spoil the story for you, should you ever choose to read Shriver's book, but it works fabulously :!:

If it's easier to just start writing about something you're already thinking or feeling, you can transmit those feelings to your character and then build into the plot of your story.

Good luck!

-Scotty
'Merikuh!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:28 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I'd say go ahead and write it, but do try to figure out what makes this forbidden love story special. There are a lot of them (the most iconic being Romeo and Juliette) and they can get to sound the same after awhile.

For me, that means subplots. Get a good grip on the situation around the characters, and don't be completely focused on the romance. Romance doesn't occur in a vacuum, after all.

Good luck!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:37 am
RebeccaZeno says...

Adding to Rosey Unicorn's first paragraph/last sentence...

Add some twists into the story, you want to keep your readers hooked at all times. Now, I don't mean a hook like, they're all half demons, but twists like dramatic twists, well, more so than the main conflict of her in love with her best friend's brother.

If you end up writing this with full potential through the whole thing and keep it interesting(Make the readers want to rip the page out because they turned it so quickly) then it will be an amazing short story.
If you write it so/so and not try your hardest, well, good luck.

Just imagine what you are going to write, make it epic, amazing, intriguing, and romantic to where you love it and the readers love it.
"Don't give up after you've put your effort into trying"
"If you love someone, put their name in a circle; because hearts can be broken, but circles never end." Karen Amanda Hooper, Grasping At Eternity

"And the rest is rust and stardust."
— Vladimir Nabokov