z

Young Writers Society

Will this be good?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:07 am
View Likes
xXravenxX says...

I have many ideas spewing out of my mind for stories , but the three main ones I have are : The Dead Stone - Three young teenage boys are on summer break . They explore for rocks , and they found a stone that can resurrect the dead .
The Last Prom - A distraught teenage girl plans a mass murder at her prom due to unhappiness.
Final Days of the Living - A group of aliens , Saxtadz , abduct three men. The army does everything in their power to save the men . It all comes down to one of the main supporting characters being behind the aliens. Tell me what you guys think :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:46 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It is impossible to judge ideas.

Write them. In their entirety. See if you like them. Cut the parts you don't like and keep the ones you do. Rewrite. Revise.

Ideas have infinite potential in either direction— amazing or horrible. You can't tell their potential until they're done.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:53 am
xXravenxX says...

I guess i shouldve said sounded interesting ;p;

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:59 am
View Likes
Blackwood says...

It actually is possible for ideas to be good or not. And it is possible to judge but only based on solely this description and only to a point of personal preference. For example, I like your idea for the last prom the most. However I do not like the title because I feel it would be very misleading, someone could see the name thinking it is some sort of girls life drama when really it could an intensive struggle of a teenage mess or a disturbed mastermind that would appeal to a completely different audience.

On the other hand the Alien one doesn't present anything new or fresh in your description. There could well be a twist that makes it very different and amazing compared to anything done before, but from all that you have told us, I don't see that.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:11 am
lyssiekins says...

I personally like the title and idea for Last Prom.
Life is a souvenir for the best thing you have ever done or will ever do - me

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:14 am
Rosendorn says...

But, the description of the alien one could end up really far from what the actual idea ends up as, or the way the idea is told might have some merit to them.

A lot of ideas sound really stupid on paper, such as "Last of his alien race isn't affected by Earth's physical laws the same way as he would be on his home planet, so he becomes a superhero" (Superman), or "Boy watches his parents die so uses his family's vast fortune to become a bat-motiefed crime fighter to keep that from happening" (Batman, obviously).

Long, fleshed out descriptions are easier to judge, because then you can determine plot holes and logic inconsistencies from what has been shown. But for a couple of sentences of premise? All the potential in the world, even if said descriptions look cliched like crazy.

When you consider how many times the whole "Hero goes on quest to save the world" plot has been played out, successfully, with lots of different twists and turns and general awesome bits along the way, you can see why a couple of sentences aren't the easiest to judge.

Not to mention, ideas are really quite subjective. Between what others like and what the author likes, there's plenty of room for "the best."

And when it comes to picking an idea, I just go with what I like and worry about making it look nice later.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:47 pm
mistielovesyou says...

I also think that you can't really judge an idea alone. I believe that the form and the flow of your writing, along with your idea, is what can make it amazing. An idea alone isn't writing so it's difficult to say whether it'd be good or not on it's own. But if that's how you want to do it, pick the idea that you are most suited to and gives you the most inspiration or feeling.
mistura is awesome and she loves you

Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.
— Jin, BTS