Young Writers Society

beta reader :)

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat May 25, 2013 7:07 pm
queenofscience says...

Title: (not titled yet)

Length, Draft and Language:

First draft. Currently just under 9,000 words. About a quarter of the story is written. English.

Brief Summary:

In a dystopian, futuristic America, a corporation has replaced democratic government, and produces genetically-perfect clones as its unpaid workers. Most of the human population has died, due to war and ecological disasters. You know, your typical dystopian stuff :). All remaining humans, except the man controlling the corporation, are viewed as genetically imperfect and form the lowest class of society. Natural human reproduction is illegal.

My main character (a new clone) befriends a human servant girl, and the two eventually escape to live in the woods. They want to live outside the system and change it for the better. There is a little bit of romance in this story, but nothing graphic. PG-13ish young adult fiction.

(Sorry, I’m bad at summaries. Read the story and you’ll find out more. If you enjoy dystopian societies and issues dealing with biology, I think you’d really like it.)

Sub Genre & Keywords:

Clones/cloning, ethics, dystopia, adventure, genetics, eugenics, biology, totalitarian government

Known Issues:

Open to comments on any and all aspects.

Critique Requested:

Grammar, spelling, punctuation, plot, continuity. I know where I want this story to go, but I need an editor/mentor to help guide me, comb through my story and see how it can be improved and polished. Open to suggestions and ideas.

I’d like to learn more about grammar and creative writing. Any expertise or teaching you’d like to provide would be welcome.

Critique Tolerance:

Constructive criticism without personal attacks. Be honest, but kind. I want to know the positives, and the things that need improvement.

Experience & Goals:

I’m wanting to publish this and other future works. No, this is not my first story, I’m writing a few at the same time.

I do want to write science fiction/fantasy for a living in the future, and look forward to having someone to guide me and teach me more about different aspects of writing.

Method of Communication:

Email. I do my writing on my ipad, and can send drafts in the body of an email, or as an attachment.

Contact me by nanomail or YWS mail to introduce yourself. :)

Anything else?

PG-13ish and nothing too graphic in terms of violence, language, etc. Violence level is about the same as The Hunger Games. Romantic activities implied but not described in detail.

I’m a visually-impaired teenager, and having someone else to read over my work and catch mistakes I’ve missed is very helpful. I don’t mind answering questions about my vision impairment in general, and how it affects my editing. Don’t decide to help me just because I said I’m visually impaired, though.

Not only am I looking for someone to help with grammar and such, but also someone I can discuss ideas with. I’m flexible about turnaround time, as long as we stay in touch about it.

Looking for someone who is reliable, nice, won’t steal my work, really knows sci-fi and loves sciences dealing with biology/health and the mind.

P.S. If you’re a cool,funny,awsome, science/sci-fic nerd twho also likes talking about random things, that’s bonus points. :) Plus, i'm hoping to find some new friends,too! :)
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

The human heart has hidden treasures, in secret kept, in silence sealed...
— Charlotte Bronte