z

Young Writers Society

Has anyone published via Amazon Kindle?

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:19 pm
Kaylyn says...

I saw that you can publish your book and seel it in the kindle store for no cost. However has anyone tried this?
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:01 am
AlfredSymon says...

Hey Kay! Well, first and foremost, the term is loosely 'publish'. Marketing it in Amazon is more of a better term. But not that it's very important and all :D

Anyways, yes! A lot of YWSers have tried it! Have you opened the link in the homepage about Dynamo and, a few weeks before, Alteran? Their self-published novels are on Amazon and can be bought through Kindle for a lower price.

Actually putting your book (or eBook in some cases) on Amazon, Barnes & Nobles and eBay and other eMarkets can become a long process with all the pricing and shipping you gotta plan out. I believe though that there are some trusted avenues for self-publishing like Lulu.com and CreateSpace.com that, after confirming that you'll self-publish your work there, will automatically send your novel to Amazon for selling. I'm not entirely sure because I haven't enjoyed their services. Check out the websites, though, and read their procedures, if you want to know more about selling your novel on Amazon.
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Selling for no cost is a bit misleading. Amazon takes a percentage of all sales, and if you self-publish through them, the cut they take is pretty substantial. Last I checked, it was in the area of ~30% of the selling price (though that was a while ago), and they have a minimum price you can set, to ensure they make money.

With that said, unless you're willing to go out and market your book yourself, you are going to have a hard time making sales as Amazon will not advertise your work for you unless you pay for that service. Free marketing is one of the benefits of traditional publishing, and paying for marketing services can get to be quite expensive without guarantee of your returning a profit.

Self-publishing through Amazon also means you lose out on the ability to get that particular story published through a publishing house.

Depending on why you're considering publishing through Amazon, you may want to consider some other alternatives. If it's just because it's free (which it really isn't) then you'll definitely want to avoid publishing on Amazon and try sending out query letters or producing limited print runs with a book printing company (like Lulu).
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 pm
View Likes
Kaylyn says...

Thank you both! I'm definately looking into Lulu
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sat May 25, 2013 8:42 pm
kathyloop says...

I publish my stories on booktango. They have free services and you can let them share with other ebook websites and you get so much % from each book download on the other websites. On booktango you get 100% royalty. Check out my books. Just search for my name on www.booktango.com

“Such nonsense!" declared Dr Greysteel. "Whoever heard of cats doing anything useful!" "Except for staring at one in a supercilious manner," said Strange. "That has a sort of moral usefulness, I suppose, in making one feel uncomfortable and encouraging sober reflection upon one's imperfections.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell