z

Young Writers Society

Publishing in magazines?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:08 pm
Clove says...

Hey there! :D

I'm just wondering as to whether people knew of any literary magazines that I could send short stories to? In the long run I guess I'm hoping to send stories of a decent enough calibre to places like Tin House, Paris Review and Granta etc...

But right now I know I'm more lowered tier. Has anyone been successful, as a young writer, to publish short stories in literary journals? Actually, I'm curious as to how many people here have been published before.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 pm
indieeloise says...

I write poetry more so than prose, but there are a lot of literary magazines out there that publish both. I have had 4 poems published in literary magazines/newspaper(s).

Here is a list of contests/awards: http://www.davidbarrkirtley.com/teenwriter/ContestsOther.html

A huge compiled list of literary magazines and the like that I have found very helpful:
http://www.newpages.com/npguides/young_authors_guide.htm

Hope these help! Please let me know if you do indeed get published. :)
"My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors, and trying to convince my shadows that I am someone worth following." - Rudy Francisco

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Cadi says...

I definitely suggest you check out the Writers Market forum here on YWS - it's a place where people post external contests and publishing opportunities, and there's a couple of big lists of markets for certain genres stickied at the top of it.
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:02 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

It'd also be helpful to grab a copy of the latest Writer's Market (basically a directory of literary journals, agents, publishers, etc) either from Amazon (expensive) or from your local library (free!) and take notes of magazines that publish writing like the stuff that you write. Then, submit to those magazines!
Got YWS?

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm
EmmVeePi says...

Buy a copy of the Writers Market or steal one. Also I am proud to say I possess a rejection letter each from Tin House and Paris Review(among many others). #winning

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 am
AlfredSymon says...

Have you tried TeenInk? It's an international website which accepts literary works from, well, teens! If your work doesn't pass the standards to be published in the magazine, then at least it will be published in their website. Like other literary publishers, though, they own the rights of the work.
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...
— Dr. Seuss