z

Young Writers Society

Publishing question

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:07 am
MissGamer8 says...

So does anyone know if you can get published by a real publisher if the story is posted on this site or elsewhere? I heard that if it was published on any site they wouldn't accept it because it was available free and they don't like that. But that doesn't make any sense because then nobody should post on here if they hope of publishing. I'm so confused... I want clarification before I post my story
Every time you smile, I smile
And every time you shine, Ill shine for you

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:13 am
veeren says...

Basically, it'll be hard to sell something that someone can get for free.
If you plan on selling something, don't make it publicly available for free. In this case, don't post a book you're going to publish where everyone can read it, otherwise they'd just come here and not buy it.

What we post here isn't meant to be published. We post short works here, things that we were inspired to write. It's more so people can get a taste of your writing style and what-not.

But what do I know.
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:20 am
View Likes
Shady says...

I gotta disagree with this, slightly. I agree no one will pay for something they can get free-- so I intend to take my story down when I go to publish-- but I think posting it here can get you valuable help before you head to the publishers.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:49 am
AmourDevorant says...

You could always just post bits and pieces of it here for us to review, like details and specific scenes you're having trouble with, rather than the whole chapter. When you try to get published, an editor will look at your work and basically get paid to tell you what some of us here can tell you for free lol.
忍ぶれど色にいでにけりわが恋はものや思ふと人の問ふまで
― 平兼盛

“If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray,
remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.”
― Kvothe, in The Name of the Wind

What were the use of my creation if I were entirely contained here?

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:54 am
AlfredSymon says...

You'll have a hard time, my dear. See, even though you the copyright for that intellectual property is yours, the piece you're going to publish is somehow already published in the site you've posted it in. So yeah, not only will you get a hard time because the work can be read FREE, but it can also be considered published since it's publicized.

Here in YWS, you can post any, if not all, of your works if you need help or reviews or feedback. When you're happy with the final result and you're ready for the publishing world, you can actually delete the works you've posted here, or hide them if you want to keep it at YWS. YWS is a very safe place, and you can control how your works go. I dunno about other places, though :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:51 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Also, some publishing houses do consider posting your work online as true publishing, first rights given away et all.

First publishing rights are basically what publishers buy. That's what they're looking for in new authors (older, established authors don't have to worry about this so much, but there is still a premium for new work published). If you've given first publishing rights away by posting your work on a site that doesn't let you retain your rights to the work, then publishers won't take it period. Self publishing counts as using your first publishing rights.

YWS does let you retain rights to your work, but not all sites do. Be sure to read the terms and conditions very, very carefully, maybe asking for help if the disclaimer of rights is too complex (I am able to mostly understand legal speak, so if you need help shoot me a site PM).

Also, not all countries consider being able to remove your work a sign you still have first publishing rights. Last I heard, the UK considered any and all posting of your work online "publishing", so please check your specific country. US houses just want it removed, while UK houses don't want to see it online at all. While this is changing, it is still an issue.

Although, like Viper said, posting it for review is helpful. It is also very unlikely the first/early draft will be what you submit to publishers. In this regard, you're relatively safe. When you get to final drafts where minor edits are more likely, go for private betas.

Past that, what everybody else has said applies. Publishers are trying to make money. Their business relies on buying stories they think will sell, then selling them for a profit. If the work is available for free, then people have no reason to go to publishers for the author's work. This means the story won't sell and they lose money.

I could go into a long marketing ramble, where it's often wise to post small snippets (very small) to give people teasers of the work, so they're more likely to pay for it. But the gist is: publishers are trying to make money, which means making sure people have to pay to get the story.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 am
BadNarrator says...

One of my stories was published in a literary journal and it can still be read here and a few other sites. I doubt that they know it's online, but even if they do I don't think it's that big a deal. Also, ours a very small publication.

From my understanding it's only a major issue if another publication is paying for it. As of now I think it fails under fair use laws. But if you're really that concerned I suggest asking a lawyer or someone familiar with copyright laws. Honestly though I wouldn't worry about it until someone actual accepts your work.
First you will awake in disbelief, then
in sadness and grief and when you wake
the last time, the forest you've been
looking for will turn out to be
right in the middle of your chest.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how.
— Friedrich Nietzsche