z

Young Writers Society

Need Some Help

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:28 am
bandgeek101 says...

Okay, here's the gist of my dilemma. I am writing a novel but am trying to get a character relationship to go the way I want. Basically, a girl meets a boy she already knows but had no memory of until her memories become retrieved shortly after she meets him. They were really good friends and she had a crush on him when she was younger, and now she is falling in love with him and he with her. Here is where I am stuck. Im not sure whether the relationship should be set in stone and sure or if it should take a longer time to develop. The girl knows that she knows the boy but isn't quite sure about her feelings for him now that she lost and retrieved her memory. Do you guys think the relationship should be quick or should build as the story goes(considering I am kind of in the beginning here.) Thanks for your help!
Courage is resistance to fear
Mastery of Fear
Not absence of Fear
-Mark Twain

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 am
Kale says...

If you're having doubts about how quickly things are going, that's a very strong sign that things are moving way too fast to be believable.

With that said, you can have unequal development of feelings. For example, while the girl may be confused and uncertain about her feelings, the boy could be quite the opposite and thus actively trying to start a relationship. Such unequal development of feelings leads to a lot of lovely conflict as a plus, in addition to being a way to control the pace at which the relationship develops.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:40 am
bandgeek101 says...

Thanks so much, that definitely helped!
Courage is resistance to fear
Mastery of Fear
Not absence of Fear
-Mark Twain

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:21 am
10doctor says...

bandgeek101 wrote:Thanks so much, that definitely helped!

It should build let it take time
10doctor

I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.
— Sylvia Plath