z

Young Writers Society

Flashback/plottwist

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:33 am
queenofscience says...

If anyone has further question etc,just message me.

(Sorry,this is copyed from email) Book one is about a disease and book 2 is about doing exploration in the human body. And Ally and Kendra are two high school sophmore girls. Kendra is better at science than Ally. All ideas are welcome.... And i really want to do this in first person.

Hi,ok, so I've come upon the decision that i'm going to plug in events from book 1 into book 2 (so this would be book 1 and book 3 with be the sequel.)

Reasons.... Book one is taking me forever/some plot technically issues ( not gonna explain) and I feel that book 2 and 3 have more action/dram/characterization/conflict etc than book one. However,I like the general concept of book one.

So,I was thinking....hmm,this could have twist with flashback scenes and then going onto the main plot. BUT,ideas how to make this interesting/ideas for plot twist.... i want to do Somthing that is "kinda out there"

I don't want Ally and Kendra sounding too similer ( which i'm afraid of doing) I know that Ally is great with technology/is kind of immature. I know everyone elses voice but Ally's. I need help,please.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:59 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'm sorry but you haven't given us enough information to provide a plot twist.

A plot twist is when a story element is completely unexpected based on the events previous. Usually plot twists have foreshadowing before the actual twist itself that hint there are more possibilities than what is presented, but good foreshadowing can only be seen after knowing all events in the story. Great foreshadowing takes multiple rereads.

A flashback is simply a memory from a previous time that is written in prose. Therefore if you want a flashback, then you'll have to figure out what one of the characters was doing at the time of book one.

Also, I'm wondering how your premises fit together at all. Wouldn't exploration of the human body work better with having to find the cure? Since you do, after all, need to explore the human body to find out what the illness is affecting, where it comes from, how to treat it. You also don't mention if the exploration is "just because" or if it's to find a vaccine. It could be a whole myriad of options and until those options are laid out it's pretty much next to impossible to even build a plot.

Why high school students? How do high school students fit in a plot where normally it is people with at least a Master's degree (or studying for one) if not a PhD (or, again, studying for one) doing this type of research? You can be brilliant but you still need to learn one heck of a lot to understand the human body in any detailed capacity. There's a reason doctors need 8 years of school to be considered doctors.

The world itself could be fleshed out, too. Where is medical advancement right now? Modern day, futuristic? What cures have already been found, and what sort of examination tools are in existence? What makes the illness they're finding a threat that you can build a whole book around it?

A lot of "superbugs" aren't actually as bad as they could be. Between modern day medical knowledge, procedures put in place to limit disease spread, and the human immune system, there is significantly less risk that any plague-like outbreaks will happen again (it helps doctors study how the plague spread and was treated so history doesn't repeat).

You'd need to set up some sort of world where either a bug evolves much faster than medical research (which is surprisingly difficult, considering the medical community keeps up with the flu which evolves every year) or a whole new strain gets developed/released so the medical community is starting from scratch (also surprisingly difficult because of how many illnesses are researched).

Basically, your premise seems incredibly faulty and your plot is akin to swiss cheese (full of holes). Until those holes are filled, you're not going to get far at all.

I'd suggest solidifying the state of medical knowledge in the world, increasing your own medical knowledge, and tossing a stick of dynamite on your plot. If you're not happy with how it's going, blowing it up and starting over is probably your best bet. While that can be incredibly painful to do, it is pretty much always for the better. Especially if you keep the old draft and borrow what you like to make something you like consistently.

There should be no "best parts" or "favourite parts" in writing. Everything should have something to keep you, the writer, interested. Because if there is nothing keeping you interested and you know how the story is going to play out, there is no hope that the reader will be interested.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Who knew Kansas City had its own branch of the Yakuza?
— Jason Sudeikis