z

Young Writers Society

Looking for Critique Partners

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:52 pm
RebeccaZeno says...

Hi!

Right now, I've been galloping through all different kinds of sites for young writers, and I seemed to stumble upon this one.

Since I'm jumping right into it, I'll give you what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a few trustworthy, nice, smart, young critique partners. Maybe the ages 13-25?

I've never published a book, but I do have a handful up my sleeve, and once we get to know each other personally, I'd love to swap novels and help each other out.

It may take a while for our trusting bonds to gain, I wouldn't want to just hand my story over to anyone, but here's a heads up on my writings. I write anything from Adventure, sci-fi, paranormal, romance, YA humor, and all that cool stuff.

Anyone interested can post, I really don't care :)
Last edited by RebeccaZeno on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't give up after you've put your effort into trying"
"If you love someone, put their name in a circle; because hearts can be broken, but circles never end." Karen Amanda Hooper, Grasping At Eternity

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:32 am
Zyphlid says...

I remember doing this last NaNo with someone and it was quite an interesting experience, so I wouldn't mind joining!

I am with you on the multiple story thing as well and current have two (almost three and all of which are sci-fi [because I am in love with the genre]) that I am trying to lay the base over. I am more a critic of character/plot development, so I can certainly be that gal for you and anyone else willing to join.

It takes time for me to warm up to people because I am unsure how they act and how they expect others to act (because I can get crazy once you /really/ know me), but eventually I get there and I act a certain way towards certain people.

How are we going to do this? Are we going to have a thread somewhere or a private club perhaps? If you and everyone else is comfortable with it, we can all get on Skype and have a day where we chat and get to know each other and explain our story (ies) a little. Afterwards, we can log in whenever and ask each other for help with certain pieces, ask each other to read something and give an honest opinion, etc.
“I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of. ”―Joss Whedon

“If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”―Toni Morrison

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 am
RebeccaZeno says...

Great!

I'm so glad you posted, you seem to have a clear future on this, which is a person I am totally looking for!

I think I'm a good critique partner, I love to just share my thoughts and just give tips of my own, though I am not a dictionary type of person :)

Since I am so new to this site, I am still looking around to see what all there is. If it is possible to have a private club of our own, that sounds like a fabulous idea! Otherwise, we could all just email, or start of by personal messages on this site. I definitely like the idea of Skype, I have one of my own so that will be good.
"If you love someone, put their name in a circle; because hearts can be broken, but circles never end." Karen Amanda Hooper, Grasping At Eternity

21 Reviews

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:05 am
Zyphlid says...

You can have a club where it is request only! If you click the little gear at the top with all the taps and click the last one which is "Clubs", there is a option to create one and then set its privacy and all that jazz.

We could have one of those and have different forum threads that can range from serious to relaxed and basically have our own little corner on the site! If we can't do Skype, we can have a Chatzy day where once everyone if together, we set up a date and time to do as I said above. Chatzy is free chatroom site and your don't have to have an account to use it, so it is good for those who lack Skype (though, sharing our names if we have one is still a good idea, I believe).

And I like to think myself a good idea partner as well. If anyone is ever having trouble with a spot in their story, I am good at spitting out ideas should they explain the situation currently happening. It is good to have a mix of people, though!
“I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of. ”―Joss Whedon

“If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”―Toni Morrison

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 am
RebeccaZeno says...

That's great, I'll create a club right now, then PM you the link :)

It's always fun having someone that has those cool gadgets up their sleeve like Chatzy or something, because I've honestly never heard of that, but it sounds good to me :)

Well you just seem like the perfect person. I can't wait to personally talk with you to exchange work and whatnot. I'd love to hear what you have to say and maybe hear what you have written :)

Anything else? We have the private club down, the chatting almost handled(Skype, email, Chatzy, etc.)...

Ah. Getting to know each other! We could chat if you would like, or just do it here, whatever works for you!

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 am
crossroads says...

Oh, this sounds interesting.. That is, if you feel like welcoming one more member to this club of yours.

I'm writing novels, currently working on the second one of my series, mixing fantasy and a lot of other stuff xD I'm not good in talking about myself, but I have no troubles answering all kinds of questions.. And once I start about the things I write.. Though I tend to be rather paranoid about myself and my writings - so getting to know each other first sounds great to me.

I love giving critiques, especially privately and when I know the people I'm critiquing - that really helps, both to understand the novel itself, the critiques I get, and the way I should approach my own critiquing (yeah, three things).
I'm not a native English speaker, so don't really do much about grammar stuff, but I'm told to be good in character development and inspiring people to write, so surely that is something I offer (plus some other things).. I like to make my novels complicated, and I love reading of the same kind.
Oh, and I'm 18. And a girl, though that one is pretty obvious. And also have mail(s), Skype and whatnot.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

21 Reviews

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:29 am
Zyphlid says...

I knew of Chatzy solely because of a role playing group I am a part of, haha! That is also where I got the idea to have a giant Chatzy/Skype event because we did that two weeks ago and it was very fun! It last hours, but we were all very familiar with each other at that point and we did not mind. It, of course, does not have to last that long with us.

And I can't wait to chat with you! Sharing stories and stuff is very fun for me, so I have to thank you for getting the idea!

And we can chat whenever! Perhaps a forum thread dedicated to relaxed chatter on the club is something to do.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:32 am
RebeccaZeno says...

AriaAdams wrote:Oh, this sounds interesting.. That is, if you feel like welcoming one more member to this club of yours.

I'm writing novels, currently working on the second one of my series, mixing fantasy and a lot of other stuff xD I'm not good in talking about myself, but I have no troubles answering all kinds of questions.. And once I start about the things I write.. Though I tend to be rather paranoid about myself and my writings - so getting to know each other first sounds great to me.

I love giving critiques, especially privately and when I know the people I'm critiquing - that really helps, both to understand the novel itself, the critiques I get, and the way I should approach my own critiquing (yeah, three things).
I'm not a native English speaker, so don't really do much about grammar stuff, but I'm told to be good in character development and inspiring people to write, so surely that is something I offer (plus some other things).. I like to make my novels complicated, and I love reading of the same kind.
Oh, and I'm 18. And a girl, though that one is pretty obvious. And also have mail(s), Skype and whatnot.

Yay! You are welcomed here, everyone is welcomed!

If you're interested, I'll PM you the link for the club I created for all of our newcomers! Glad you could find this thread!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:33 am
RebeccaZeno says...

Zyphlid wrote:I knew of Chatzy solely because of a role playing group I am a part of, haha! That is also where I got the idea to have a giant Chatzy/Skype event because we did that two weeks ago and it was very fun! It last hours, but we were all very familiar with each other at that point and we did not mind. It, of course, does not have to last that long with us.

And I can't wait to chat with you! Sharing stories and stuff is very fun for me, so I have to thank you for getting the idea!

And we can chat whenever! Perhaps a forum thread dedicated to relaxed chatter on the club is something to do.

Cool!

I'll meet you at the club and create a thread for chats, hold on a minute while I get everything situated :D

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:55 am
Mochi says...

I lovee the idea of having a critique partner. Count me in xD

I mostly write fantasy, dark or low. A bit of urban fantasy but usually that has some sort of darker twist, and the fantasy aspect isn't all that big. I'm trying to write two novels right now, one that I want to finish, polish, and query for. Although, baby steps. Finishing it is the hard part.

My critiquing technique though is usually in print format, so sometimes I'll just go over it with a pen and then write comments as I go. That's my favourite way, honestly, even if it can be a bit harsh.

That being said, I have skype if you're interested xD And of course, email.
Vous trouvez l'océan trop clair, trop noir, trop bleu ;
Vous détestez le ciel parce qu'il montre Dieu ;
-Victor Hugo «À ceux qui sont petits»

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 am
crossroads says...

Oh we would make a wonderful group O:
I'm glad I've found this thread too, and do please PM me the link :3
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:02 am
RebeccaZeno says...

Mochi wrote:I lovee the idea of having a critique partner. Count me in xD

I mostly write fantasy, dark or low. A bit of urban fantasy but usually that has some sort of darker twist, and the fantasy aspect isn't all that big. I'm trying to write two novels right now, one that I want to finish, polish, and query for. Although, baby steps. Finishing it is the hard part.

My critiquing technique though is usually in print format, so sometimes I'll just go over it with a pen and then write comments as I go. That's my favourite way, honestly, even if it can be a bit harsh.

That being said, I have skype if you're interested xD And of course, email.

Great! I'll PM you the link to our group and you can jump right in!

I think everyone is ok with a harsh critique, it's what helps us stay strong and not let the beating get to us :) I'm glad to have you in the group!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:07 am
RebeccaZeno says...

AriaAdams wrote:Oh we would make a wonderful group O:
I'm glad I've found this thread too, and do please PM me the link :3

It has been PMed!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 pm
RebeccaZeno says...

Any other takers?

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 pm
Cspr says...

I would love, love, love to be part of a critique group. :D

As of now, I normally review short stories and poetry, but I can and will review novels.

On a personal level, I'm about to turn seventeen; I have read a good few hundred books; my favorite genres when it comes to prose tend to be along the lines of speculative fiction with a good mixing of fantastic, science-related, and dark elements; I've had four short stories and three poems published; and I may be the only person who has signed up who is not a cisgendered female, so that could be useful.

I'm okay with PMs, WriterFeedPad, and AIM, if you're still taking people and would like to take me on. ;)

Otherwise? Good luck with your endeavors.

-Cas
My SPD senses are tingling.

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James