z

Young Writers Society

Too cliché? Already done?

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:08 am
View Likes
Funkymomo says...

So, I got a little idea for a story or script or something, and I want to know if it's been done before or if it seems worthy of being written.

So here it is.

The mc shows up in their hometown. They meet a ton of people with really one dimensional personalities. For example, the caring motherly lady, the depressed druggie, a tomboy in love for the first time, etc. and all the characters are part of the mc's personality. As they interact with the town and solve the peoples problems it becomes clear it's not real and all the people are just the main character embodying different parts of her personality inside her head and fixing the problems individually to fix her real life.

Okay, I can not explain it very well. I'm sorry. But if that makes any sense, feedback would help. I just got the idea so I'm open to changes, in fact, the idea keeps changing in my head anyway. ugh this is hard.
Last edited by Funkymomo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:10 am
Cadi says...

That sounds like a pretty cool idea to me - and nothing like other things I've read. In any case, I find that it's best to just write the story if it's sticking in your head, and worry about whether it's "been done before" afterwards - given that there are so many stories in the world, it's inevitable that people are going to overlap, but if it's not intentional copying it generally doesn't matter so much :)

I'd be interested to read this when you're done!
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 pm
indieeloise says...

I have never heard anything like this before. I think its awesome, and has huge potential! I say go for it :)
"My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors, and trying to convince my shadows that I am someone worth following." - Rudy Francisco

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:13 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Ditto Eloise and Cadster ^

I think it's not entirely cliche. In fact, it seems pretty original. I think it's also a good innuendo or parody to mainstream life these days, which is give stories a more unique element of being realistic even though it is not. I'd say this novel would go great!

Just be sure to carefully analyze how you'll build up the fact that the character IS all of those extra characters. Another thing in my mind is that the 'helping others' part is a bit hard to plot out, so be sure to think over it before writing. See, it's the motivation that's hard to do.

I wish you all the best on your newest work! :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:26 pm
wordsandwishes says...

Sounds great! Go for it! ^u^

w&w

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 am
Funkymomo says...

Thanks y'all, I guess I'll start writing! Thanks for the help.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

Reviews: 2
Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:37 am
AerozelFatalis says...

This kind of reminds me of a story I wrote. The antagonist has a doppelganger with the opposite personality. The idea is interesting. Go for it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:47 pm
Amily says...

I guess that before starting the piece of writing you should make up some kind of skeleton and then start making a real creature by developing the plot.

But answer me this: how can a story end happily if there is no love?
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane