z

Young Writers Society

I'm inventing a Language.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:21 am
View Likes
methrirr123 says...

People of the internet! I am inventing a language, and would like your help in finding new things to translate. I already have many words at my disposal. I leave it to you to put your words here, and I will make a new word for them in my new language, called "LibaarAk" or "First Tongue." My aim is to have a full fluency in this language so that I can type it up and give it to all of you guys! ALSO: Put your works here. Short poems, that I can fully translate so that you can say them out loud to yourself and sound cool. SHORT poems.

Your first taste of my language:

SeisuulToreseiRe Riiraak DrudoorMuororekRiiLangleduor.

Silently I walk through the shadows of the night.

This was put here for those of you who just absolutely HAVE to help by suggesting what should be the LibaarAk word for whatever word you have brought to me. It should sound like this. I don't want to here that your word for "Light" turned out to be "Krokmet."
(ps. The word for light is Lobenin) Also, if you have to make up a new word, don't do what I almost did and base it off of latin or something. This language is fully original, and know that I may not use your suggestions. I will, however translate EACH and EVERY word that you bring to me. Just don't go too crazy.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:33 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I saw the title of this thread and went O.O

A *whole* language? That's crazy. I can barely speak english.

When learning a language I find the first thing I do is to look up vocabulary based around languages. It's the thing I can relate to most when I start saying 'I've just started learning this language and don't speak it very well, but I'm trying hard,' and stuff. It's the most likely conversation I'll be having.

I guess with your new language you could combine linguistics research and making up a language by translating Wikipedia documents based on languages. Or, equally, you could do research on your latest project, maybe vocabulary about mythical swords, or a few random insults (because insulting someone without them knowing what you're saying is one of the most enjoyable and useful things of a new language >.> )

Think of the types of vocabulary you're most likely to use and find articles and stuff about that, that you can translate.

Alternately, feel free to scour my portfolio and use whatever you like. But beware, there are some atrocities in there I assure you.
We were born to be amazing.

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 pm
Hannah says...

I would definitely recommend reading up on linguistics, too, because as of right now, I have no idea what your language sounds like. The roman alphabet can be pronounced so many different ways, especially the vowels, that I have no guidelines of where to start. I'd like to see that basic chart of what sound each letter in your alphabet sounds like!
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:08 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

Languages! Language creation is made of win.

Does your language have a particular setting to go with it? That is, is it the language for a country in a novel or something? Because if so, knowing a little bit about them and their culture would help with thinking of vocabulary that needs to exist. In particular, they might have words for concepts that we can't express in one word in English - those are the most fun kind of words to learn. ^_^

If you haven't already, I also suggest googling for conlang resources! There are whole communities built around conlanging (the making of constructed languages), so there's lots of stuff out there, including vocab lists and sentences to be able to translate. :D
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

56 Reviews

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 pm
methrirr123 says...

It is based off of a world that I have it built in, called Artildon. I did look up on linguistics, and learned alot about languages that already exist. But I'm using a system randomly generated by my own mind to construct a new way of speaking for the ancient people that live in this world.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

"randomly generated" + conlang = *twitch*

Languages are very logical creatures, so a good thing to do (if you haven't already done so) is to come up with a basic grammar and set of phonemes for your language. Those two aspects build up the entire mechanical half of your language, so it's a good idea to settle on them fairly early on in your conlanging.

Also, be careful not to fall into the trap of having almost every word in your language being exact equivalents to words in English. Doing so results in your language being a substitution for English, rather than being a language of its own.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 pm
AdventurerDaniel says...

Okay this is an awesome idea insanely complicated but awesome. First of all for those that don't know this and are hopefully The Lord of the Rings fans because this will double blow your minds. J.R.R. Tolkien was huge on linguistics and the intricately complicated languages of different races in his novels came before the books. His books with their excellent languages were a means to popularize them.

This being said a language is no easy process to make, that's why I brought up the Tolkienian languages. First to make a language original I believe it's own set of symbols are in order each with a specific pronunciation, I mean have you tried to pronounce Welsh it's crazy. A language also needs it's own set of vowels and consonants, except Welsh seriously they have words that look like they are all consonants. Then think of what words should well symbolize, like the basic sorts of adjectives and nouns. That might be tricky but a language needs its own words. That's the best advice fun facts and jokes about Welsh I got.
So much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.
Red Wheel Barrow by- William Carlos Williams

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:02 am
Cadi says...

Tolkien is superduperawesome. He was a linguist more than a writer, and basically created Middle Earth because of the languages. I think he was of the opinion that without a culture and mythology to go with it, a language isn't really 'alive'.

Basically, he's made of win. <3
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

56 Reviews

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 am
View Likes
methrirr123 says...

There is a script that is derived solely from phonetic sounds used in the words. There is a mechanics for the language. I'm not saying it will be easy, but I can and will do it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:48 pm
Amily says...

I didn't get why capitals are inside of the words, but it looks really catchy.

56 Reviews

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 am
methrirr123 says...

this is because, at every capital, a new word begins. The reason why they are strung together so is because the actions in this language are linked directly with who is doing them, and in what fashion that person is doing them. It makes things a pain to translate, but I've decided not to change it since, when written in the flowing script of the language itself, it looks really satisfying.

Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins