z

Young Writers Society

Lack of motivation

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 am
Blues says...

I've been writing this novel for a year and seven months now. I wrote the first draft in May-July 2011 and wrote a second draft from August 2011 to the end of 2012.

I adore the characters, the plot, everything. I can't believe it's my story and I love it... but since the beginning of last year, I really didn't want to write it. I enjoy writing it when I can but sometimes I don't want to and I'm not excited for the story.

I want to finish it but I really cannot be bothered. I want to move onto another story and end this one by finishing it.

Any ideas?

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Hey, Blues ^^
I'm going through pretty much the same thing, except for I'm writing this one for shorter time and it's the second novel in the series (the first took a year)..

I don't think there's much you can do, but I'm sure you shouldn't force yourself to move on. From my experience, you should listen to the music that inspired you to write that novel, imagining the scenes while you do, read through the drafts again, maybe draw the characters, visit the places that may have inspired you (or see pictures).. Those little things that made you start it are what tend to bring it all back, including the desire to keep writing ;)

It goes like that with me, anyway..

Also, I don't know how detailed your drafts are, but, i.e., when I have it all planned (especially if I have the end thought of in details), I find it less interesting to write (as I already know what will happen, then it's just like rereading the book I just read).. Maybe that's what you need too, to start writing and go on with it without much planning and drafts, just following some general checkpoints, but letting your characters and the story itself lead you on ^^
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 am
View Likes
Cosmo says...

What I've found quite useful is working on 2 different projects at the same time. For instance I'm working on a short story for a competition for Writers of the Future. And I'm also working on my book which I later plan to turn into a screenplay script.

Having your mind on one project can become boring, but if you have 2 or maybe even 3 things your working on it can keep a slight momentum working on them :)

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Sometimes, it's a good idea to take a break. You already have two drafts completed, so it's as good a time as any to put that particular story aside and let it settle a bit. Revising and rewriting tend to turn out better when the piece you're revising/rewriting has had time to sit, because you're more able to accurately see the merits and flaws of the piece, since you're no longer so strongly attached to it as when you were re-/writing it.

And if you really want to work on another story, go and work on it. There's no Law of Writing that dictates that one must complete a project start-to-finish without working on any other projects in between. ;P
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:26 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

We so have the same experience Bluesy! Every now and then, I undergo that sorta feeling. There are some stuff that I try to do to stop my motivation from spilling out, though. Here they are:

Outlining
I don't know with you, but I enjoy simply sketching the sequence of events in the piece. With it, you always have something to look forward to to write! Kind of a goal. If you'll try it, be as general as you can, so that you can always pinch in special events you think of.

Play
Yeah, it's a bit weird, but when I really don't have anything to do, I kinda make my characters do outrages things and actions which are out of question strange! Yes, I think playing with them will be a fun activity. You don't have to make them a permanent part of the piece; just some positive distraction. Oh, and get this: there are times when those play lines are simply perfect for the piece, so playing with them won't only help you enjoy, but can give out some ideas.

Schedule
Having a schedule can easily push you through with the works. Not only will it update/remind you of what to do, but it can also motivate you by saying that 'you're near at the climax'! Hahaha! :)

Anyways, hope my ideas helped even by a bit :)
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.
— Rick Riordan, The Heroes of Olympus