z

Young Writers Society

Check Out My Idea!

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:05 pm
View Likes
Astrophel says...

Hello all! I joined this website to try to actually complete a writing project that I thought of doing, and I wanted to post a brief tagline for my idea to see if anyone would think it was worth pursuing:

A powerful alien artifact makes a college dropout the most wanted man in the galaxy.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:25 am
View Likes
Love says...

It certainly does sound interesting... Although there is something with that 'wanted'... How exactly would he become the most wanted man in the galaxy? Actually, I misread it at first as 'powerful', which, in my personal opinion, sounds somewhat better, although again, I am confused by the 'wanted' ^_^
I was Amareth :)

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 am
Astrophel says...

Well, here's a slightly longer explanation of what I'm planning, which should explain the "wanted" (and the "powerful") parts:

College dropout and wanna-be engineer Randy Hunt stumbles across an alien device that absorbs your thoughts and makes them a reality. However, this power is not his to keep; a hostile alien race comes to Earth, claiming that they will destroy the planet unless the humans give them Hunt. After several months of fleeing his own species, the aliens begin randomly bombing cities all over the globe in the hopes of obliterating Hunt; in retaliation, he decides to use his power to fight back. After being knocked unconscious in a tussle and taken prisoner by the aliens, the device disconnects from his mind, and Hunt struggles to get it back online. In the end, he does, and he uses the weapon to take out the invasion from within.

Does that clear things up, Letiki? :smt001

43 Reviews

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 pm
View Likes
Love says...

Hmm... Yes, it does indeed sound like a great idea XD But, in order to make it amazing, in my opinion, you should ensure that it is 'detailed', in a way, I think. For example, if the device was not intended for human use, how would a human be able to use it? Would it create any difficulties, perhaps making the device dangerous to use without proper training? Why wouldn't the aliens attempt to locate him using some device? Oh, and... It would be inefficient to bomb cities this way. Maybe they bombed those cities in order prey on Hunt's emotions of empathy and stuff and make him come out? Plus, they might decide to use biological weapons, or other more efficient methods of killing.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 am
Astrophel says...

Ahhh...didn't think about the whole human idea. I think it's just geared to interpret thought in general, human or otherwise. As for the consequences, I've decided that the device was created by DIFFERENT aliens, and that it was programmed to kill one of the hostile aliens each time it is used. That might solve the locating issues as well, since the aliens who made the device would not want their enemies to find it. I was also thinking that the bombing or whatever it will be could be used to spring Hunt into action. Needless to say, I'm still workin' :smt001

43 Reviews

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm
View Likes
Love says...

Hi... Sorry for not replying. I was busy with homework... And then I became inspired and had to complete a few drawings...

So yess... The idea certainly does sound interesting. Just make sure that it's realistic X3 And not cliche in any way. Well, maybe some things might be... But not many and not too cliche X3 Some things are cliche because they work, or so I heard. /end of rant

Oh, and do make the aliens interesting! There are many existing aliens in fiction, and the generic alien might possibly be considered now. Hopefully you will begin your novel, if you haven't done so already, and perhaps submit the first chapter here for feedback X3

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm
View Likes
Astrophel says...

No worries, Letiki :smt001 Just glad you're replying at all! Like you said, cliche can be good...sometimes. Overuse of it destroys the originality in a story, which is not at all what anyone wants. I've actually been slowing down my work on this as of late (still in my planning phase) so I haven't focused on the aliens as much as I've been focusing on the main characters that are NOT aliens.

However, since it's really just Hunt and the device, I will probably have to make a B storyline that takes place from another human's point of view. Maybe someone who was previously associated with Hunt? I do have one question for you, though. Would you prefer Randy Hunt or Jon Hunt? I started with Randy but recently I've been leaning more towards Jon.

43 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:50 am
View Likes
Love says...

Hmm... Yes, Jon does appeal more to me X3

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Figured I'd drop in here.

I find it a very interesting little idea. You got my attention right away, and I was curious to find out more.

My comment is on the aliens who ended up making the device— wouldn't they be tracking him, too? That would add another dimension.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:02 am
View Likes
Astrophel says...

Jon it is then, Letiki!

I have that sort of covered, Rosey. The aliens who created the device were enemies of the ones that invade Earth, and the device was programmed to take them out. Every time the device is used for anything, one of the invading aliens dies. As the creators of the device were being defeated in a war and were about to be wiped out, they just chucked the thing into outer space, hoping someone would find it and use it. The enemy aliens can sense roughly where it is, but cannot pinpoint its exact location. That's why they know to go to Earth, but cannot find Hunt on the planet itself.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:18 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

So the aliens who created it are basically extinct?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:51 am
Astrophel says...

Yes. As for the HOW part of that...I'm not entirely sure yet. Maybe the invading aliens could have invaded the good aliens' world to find the device. The good aliens are losing horribly and are going to be wiped out so they get rid of the device. That could work.

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats