z

Young Writers Society

Aching Feels and A Potential Idea

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:43 pm
HitenNoRurouni says...

So, I've had this idea for a story I've thought about submitting to Marvel if I like it enough and if it gets a fan following, or just letting it stay fanfiction.

Writing it is breaking my heart though, and I having to stop because I cry while writing it. ><

The premise is pretty simple. I just wanted to write an alternate universe for Marvel's Civil War where Steve Rogers (Captain America) and Tony Stark (Iron Man) are together and Peter Parker (Spiderman) is their son (superfamily for those who know). I read Civil War, both the Iron Man (poor Happy and Pepper!!!!!!) and Captain America (Bucky-related feels!!) Civil War books, Civil War: Confessions, and The Death of Captain America books 1+2 (3 hasn't arrived yet), so I did a fair amount of research on the canon of the event, but I'm starting to think that I'll read One More Day and the Spiderman Civil War books to be completely rounded on the matter. (If you have something else I should read let me know!! ><)

But, I wanted to get some thoughts on the matter, if you think it's a good idea, what kind of questions you have would be appreciated too, since that's how I like to fill in holes in a story.
Last edited by HitenNoRurouni on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:57 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Step one: Make sure Marvel will actually buy fan-made stories.

If they don't buy any stories, then I would keep it to yourself as much as possible and try to get in as a Marvel comic writer by other means (basically, find out how they'd hire you and hope you're put on the Avengers books) and only write the story when you are the actual writer for it. I say "keep it to yourself" because then it won't be stolen and you won't have any legal snags later on because people claim to have written it, you can't prove it was you who wrote it originally, and/or Marvel would consider it "published" and therefore not able to be printed when you get to be an actual writer for them.

If they do buy stories, find out what their guidelines are and what is expected of you. Namely: how many rights you're signing away when they purchase the story, and if you'd be the actual writer or it would be written by one of their staff writers. See if you'd get any credit at all or if they'd just buy the idea and take it in whatever direction they wanted. Find a lawyer who'd be willing to read over the contract (and/or educate yourself very well in contract, copyright, and intellectual property law) to see exactly what they are offering you. Some contracts are very unfair to the writer of the story and they basically buy all your rights without giving you much compensation in return.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:01 pm
HitenNoRurouni says...

I don't even know how big it is yet, really and I might not do it at all. I just want to see what this thing turns into and I was wondering if it was a good idea or not.

To be honest, I really don't think they would take it in the first place. Can you imagine the backlash if they released a story like that? Where two A list iconic heroes are gay? That would be too much, since doing little things along those seem like they're a tremendous deal already.><

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield