z

Young Writers Society

Potential in poetry

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 am
unmarkedterritory says...

Hey guys! I love writing short stories and poetry, mainly for the release emotions and creativity. Just out of curiosity, where could I go with poetry?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 pm
Demeter says...

Hi Territory!

How exactly do you mean? :) Is there something new you'd like to try, or do you feel like you're not improving as much as you'd maybe like to? I'm only asking these questions because I'm not quite sure what you intended to ask. ;)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:55 pm
unmarkedterritory says...

Hey!

No I mean in terms of getting things published or making a career out of my writing!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:59 pm
Rosendorn says...

Very rarely can you make any career out of writing fiction— novels or otherwise. It's not impossible, but it's rare. Poetry is more difficult and I don't actually know much about how to get established in the genre.

Publishing is a case of digging around for reputable publishers/agents and submitting your work to those places. Hopefully you'll get published, but chances are you'll get a rejection. If you get a personalized rejection, you're moving up.

You just keep submitting and getting a reputation for being good. Lots of authors started off getting rejection after rejection. Eventually they got popular enough they could actually start to make a living off their writing. But that doesn't happen to everyone.

Other ways to make a career out of writing:

1- Journalism. Tends to be the "go to" for writer types, but you have to like the news to do so. It does mean you have to write what editors want to see and you don't get much creative leeway till you're well established, but it is writing for a living.

2- Business writer. You write according to a brief for what the client wants for radio ads, tv scripts, the ads you see online, in print, and outdoor. Actually highly creative because, while you have to fit your needs to what the client wants, you also get to figure out what's the best way to do what the client wants. There's also web content, press releases, blog posts, twitter accounts, technical writing, training courses... there's a lot of stuff you can write for business. And with how popular online content is getting, these writers are starting to be in demand. You can also customize your industry so you're doing stuff that interests you.

(Disclaimer: My degree is in advertising so I tend to lean on the corporate writing side if you want to make it your day job)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

If it wasn't for poetry, I couldn't express myself.
— Rosendorn