z

Young Writers Society

Stop me if you've heard this one... [HALP]

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:02 pm
BenjaminMichael says...

No, really. I had an idea for a story I wanted to write, but it sounds really familiar to me for some reason.
In brief, it's about a gardener who's employed by a man. All the man wants him to do is take care of his lawn and nurture a sick tree back to heath. The gardener realizes that the tree is already dead, but keeps 'working' anyway. It is revealed that the tree was planted by the mans wife right before she died. The gardener eventually tells the man that the tree is dead, and the man reluctantly moves on.

I'm leaving out a lot of symbolism and meaning and whatnot, but you should get the drift. It sounds and feels really familiar to me, and I'm wondering if maybe I had heard of it somewhere and just pushed it back into my sub-conscience. I'm going to keep writing it anyway, but if you think you know where this idea may have come from, please let me know.
Also, would you read something like this?

Thanks for reading. ^^

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:14 pm
firstflamenow says...

Well, it sounds somewhat similar to The Secret Garden, but it's not really the same thing so you should be fine.
I'm not really interested in that kind of writing, but this sounds like something I wouldn't turn away from if I were in need of a good book.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

While I would worry you're copying a direct plot (try googling it, to see if anything comes up), I'd still write the story because it's your twist on the plot. While it might be similar, a lot of stories are similar at their roots.

Also, the story might grow and change away from the original source material as you write, which is a good thing. Means you're less likely to plagiarize. Try going through plagiarism checkers (make sure they're reputable and have large databases) to see if you've lifted any paragraphs/phrases from anything they can check.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:37 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

That sounds really cool and unlike anything I've read before! I'm sure there are people out there with similar sort of plots, but after all, there aren't really any stories that wouldn't have already been written in one way or another.

Please write it so I can read it! :D
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling