z

Young Writers Society

I wanna write a book!

Reviews: 0
Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:36 pm
Gabbi says...

Hey, I'm Gabbi!

I was thinking one day being an author(that writes fiction stories). So I emailed Justin D'Ath to help and give tips for me. But now, he isn't replying to me anymore and I kinda got lazy and stopped writing down ideas. After a month or two, I went onto YouTube and felt like writing again. I search up some related topics on being an author and found Alex. But he only does non-fiction books but I still like him. I again got lazy and stopped watching his videos and writing. But now, I feel like writing again. But I won't get lazy because I found some useful sites and guides on being a great author... Especially YWS to support me. So... If you guys wanna help me, I would appreciate it (BTW, I'm only 10 but I get tutored the grade 1 year after my current year level so, I think I'm really super intelligent). I would really want some help. So can you guys help me? Thanks.

PS Sorry if I posted a long, long post. :wink:

Gabbi :smt003

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:53 pm
crossroads says...

Hi.. I know it's not a very new post, but since you got no answers.. Are you still looking for help? You can PM me if you need anything..

Also, I think it may be better to post this in the 'normal' forum, as it would probably get more replies there ^^
(Maybe you did already?)

Aria
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

The best way to learn how to be a good writer is to read. A lot. Figure out what types of books you like - dystopia, romance, sci-fi, humor, mystery, books for kids, books for teens, books for adults. When you figure that out don't abandon other genres but read a lot of that genre you really like.

When you read, if you like something, ask yourself why you like it. Are the characters really relatable? Are the descriptions so great you feel like you're there? Try to figure out how the author makes the book so good. Don't copy the author, but try to use some of those things you've discovered in your own writing.

Likewise, when you read, if you don't like something, ask yourself why and go through the same process only avoid those things in your writing.

Besides that, the only other way to improve your writing is to just write. Don't worry about it being perfect. Don't worry about finishing things. Don't worry about what you think others want you to write. Write what you want and the rest will come.

Someday you'll get an idea that really sticks with you and you'll want to finish it and you'll want it in the world really bad and that will be what you really devote time to. By this time, you'll probably have read enough and practiced writing enough that you'll write something great and agents will be begging to represent you! :)

But really, writing is like anything else. It takes practice and the best ways to practice are to read and just write.

Let me know if you have any questions or need anything else! :)

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

I just want to be the side character in a book that basically steals the whole series.
— avianwings47