z

Young Writers Society

My book - my goal - my dream

Reviews: 0
Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm
View Likes
Leegion says...

I have been populating a world in my mind for the past 10 years and have recently begun the final editing phase for it. The book is a fantasy adventure, in the vein of Lord of the Rings, Narnia and Harry Potter.

The book is titled: Orion and the Sword of Light

This world is something I have created from a small idea I had back in a 2002 English class when I was a 12 year old. It was called "Kings and Gods" and over the years I began to populate an gigantic landscape filled with snowy areas, lush forests, golden deserts, shimmering river streams and cascading waterfalls.

This world soon came to be known as "Midras". The homeland of countless races, from Human to Dwarf and Elf to Centaur. It has a rich history, one I have worked years on creating. The deep lore stretches hundreds of years back, thousands of historical moments exist and many legends remain uncovered.

The historical moments, from the Minotaur Rebellions of the Second Era to the Great War of the Third Era and there's more. So much, that there isn't enough space here to reveal anymore of it.

My novel takes place in the Fourth Era, during a time of peace. Then the Seal is broken and Darkness fills the land, corrupting everything and everyone in its path as it tries to hunt down our main protagonist: Orion.

There's so much to say about this book, but my goal is to release it in December 2012 and watch to see if it either rises or falls.

Over the next for weeks, in this very thread. I will tell all of you what I am doing, inform you all of my progress in the editing phase and give out a few small excerpts from the story for you to sink your teeth into.

On November 5th 2012, I will be releasing the 3 chapter preview for viewing by the general public here on YWS.

November 25th 2012 will see the release of a short story called "The Temple of Shiagora" and will reveal the "prophecy".

Over the course of the next few weeks, right up until the release of the novel via KDP (or if I can get an agent, a real publisher), I will be giving out a few details about the world, what types of creatures inhabit it and what characters you can expect to meet when you get to read the novel.

The release date is: 12.12.12, a perfect release date considering I thought of the idea on 02.02.02. I hope you're all interested in this novel. I will be giving out some details soon and updating everyone on the process of publishing.

Thanks for reading,
Lee

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:12 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

WARNING!

Seriously. Huge issues here.

1) 'Along the vein of Lord of the Rings, Narnia and Harry Potter.' Dude, do you know how different these books are? In worldbuilding, you can't be like both Lewis and Tolkien. In style you can't be like Rowling and Lewis at the same time. In audiance you can't be like both Tolkien and Rowling. It just doesn't work. The only thing they have in common is that they're all remarkably famous.

2) The problem with working on something for as long as ten years is that you can be overly sentimental without realising it. If your editor/agent comes back and says 'this character is really bland, either get rid of them or change them' would you be able to? For all the work you've put into it and for how highly you seem to think of it, being told something like this is going to hurt.

3) The dust gathering period is one of the most important times in the writing of a novel. It's when you put it aside, distance yourself from it for a few weeks or even months, as long as it takes for you to look back at it from a completely fresh perspective. If you're stilled hyped about getting it finished then you shouldn't yet be editing.

Also, editing is something that's done in several drafts, because you're not always going to be on top form, and you always need time to go out and enrich your mind with new ideas before you come back to edit. To finish the first draft and then to finish editing and send it to be published only eleven days later is sending off alarm bells in my head.

4) Screenplay, really? Beware of jumping ahead of yourself. If you really are serious about this then you want to be focusing all your effort on your novels for the time being. Also novel writing and screen writing are hugely different, it's very rare to find a writer who can do both and even then it's a career change. Scripting will effect your novelling ability and vice versa. Also did you know that both Narnia and Harry Potter had very, very simple versions made by the bbc before the major screenplays. This was necessary to help increase popularity in order to get to the big league. You may want your movie version to be perfect but everything starts on the bottom rung of the ladder.

Take your time, don't big yourself up too much otherwise you're going to get hurt and when you do, it will knock you like a skyscraper made from jenga blocks.

~ Give yourself the dust gathering period. Distance yourself from your work so you can have that fresh perspective.

~ Ask yourself 'if I had to change this character, or remove this plot device, could I do it?' If the answer is no, then you're too attatched.

~ Put a few excepts or chapters on yws for review, rather than just 'here'smyworkreaditandloveit.' It's a good place to iron out any major dents in your writing rather than publishing a work that is far below the standard you could achieve.

I love your ambition and determination, but I just see warning signs that make me feel that perhaps, although you've got the self confidence that you're undoubtably going to need, there is more humility and patience required than you may realise when it comes to getting published.
We were born to be amazing.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:32 am
View Likes
Master_Yoda says...

Tenyo wrote:WARNING!

Seriously. Huge issues here.

I wouldn't say seriously huge issues, Ten. A couple of minor ones perhaps, but nothing as astronomical as you make out.

1) 'Along the vein of Lord of the Rings, Narnia and Harry Potter.' Dude, do you know how different these books are? In worldbuilding, you can't be like both Lewis and Tolkien. In style you can't be like Rowling and Lewis at the same time. In audiance you can't be like both Tolkien and Rowling. It just doesn't work. The only thing they have in common is that they're all remarkably famous.

True enough, but you can certainly take elements from each and combine them into a good story. Our whole job as writers is picking and choosing.

2) The problem with working on something for as long as ten years is that you can be overly sentimental without realising it. If your editor/agent comes back and says 'this character is really bland, either get rid of them or change them' would you be able to?

Also true, but not universally. Some people let ideas foster for a long time. Remember LotR was written over ten years. This is a matter to consider, but it's possible that Leegion did a fine job the first time around, and it's possible that he's more critical of his own work than you give him credit for.

3) The dust gathering period is one of the most important times in the writing of a novel. It's when you put it aside, distance yourself from it for a few weeks or even months, as long as it takes for you to look back at it from a completely fresh perspective.[/quote]
I think the home stretch is exciting, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone trying to get their work published immediately after writing. Especially if your capable editor is happy with your draft, I don't see the point in holding off.

To finish the first draft and then to finish editing and send it to be published only eleven days later is sending off alarm bells in my head.

I prefer two to three drafts and one edit, personally. Nevertheless, I have seen people who can produce first drafts that are publishable. They simply work extremely meticulously and are tremendously skilled. I think you're being a little judgemental here. Hold out until you've seen the first couple of chapters before ripping his writing to shreds.

4) Screenplay, really? Beware of jumping ahead of yourself. If you really are serious about this then you want to be focusing all your effort on your novels for the time being.

Personally, I admire ambition. It will be difficult, but there are successful authors who have written successful screenplays such as the author of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I respect Leegion's commitment guts and commitment to his world.

Take your time, don't big yourself up too much otherwise you're going to get hurt and when you do, it will knock you like a skyscraper made from jenga blocks.

I disagree. Go big or go home, I say. There's nothing wrong with a few rejection letters.

~ Give yourself the dust gathering period. Distance yourself from your work so you can have that fresh perspective.

Good advice, but not always necessary.

~ Ask yourself 'if I had to change this character, or remove this plot device, could I do it?' If the answer is no, then you're too attatched.

Good advice. But merely because you could improve something by changing it, doesn't mean you have to. At some point you have to just say, it's ready.

~ Put a few excepts or chapters on yws for review, rather than just 'here'smyworkreaditandloveit.' It's a good place to iron out any major dents in your writing rather than publishing a work that is far below the standard you could achieve.

Excellent advice. Once again, though, some accomplished and skilled writers wouldn't get too much aid from YWS.

Finally, Leegion, let me offer you a piece of my own advice. Get yourself an agent rather than self-publishing. Self-publishing is tacky and very few self published writers are successful. Besides, it's always a good thing to have the backing of a reputable publishing house for your novel.

And if you take a few rejection letters on the way, you might need to make some adjustments to your story and/or writing, but it's worth it in the long run.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi