z

Young Writers Society

An idea to run by you all.

Reviews: 0
Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:01 pm
View Likes
LiteraryVenom says...

Alright, so I have this idea in my head that I am absolutely in love with, but I'm not entirely sure if it's any good. Bear with me, okay? My plot - very rough plot, mind you - is this:

There are a collection of clockwork people - humans who have had their hearts replaced by clocks and gears - under the control of a central creator. The only issue is, none of these Time Pieces know who this "master" of theirs is. All they are aware of is his existence and his presence, and that they should follow his orders if they wish to stay alive.

One of the Pieces - most likely a female, maybe with a male associate or fellow Time Piece - is getting curious, though. She wants to know what the man is up to, because the orders she's been getting lately are a bit... odd. She begins to investigate, while somehow finding a way to sneak around under the Creator's nose.

Turns out, he is up to something - what that is, I'm not sure yet - and it turns into her goal to tear the plans apart and set things right. However, the Creator is not completely unaware of her intentions and will do anything to keep everything on track - even if it means taking his own creations apart in the process.

So who will win - Creator or Creation?

:3
It's rough, I know, but it's an outline of sorts. "Time Pieces" are the temporary name I've given them until I can come up with something more interesting.

So, suggestions? Things to add? Tips? Or is the idea just rubbish altogether?
All thoughts are appreciated.

-Venom
I have to write. I have to write the same way I have to eat, the same way I have to breathe. It's like life to me. I have no idea where I'd be if I didn't do what I do.

~Yours Truly :3

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:46 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Ideas, especially in rough form, are fairly impossible to judge for quality. Everything has the potential to be good or bad.

I do think you have something interesting here. I'd look into what makes his idea more real— why the Time Pieces were created, what purpose they serve, how they're treated in society. How did people become Time Pieces? It doesn't seem like they were born into it— are these people who had heart illnesses, died from heart attacks and were saved just in time (pardon the pun, it was unintentional)? Do they remember their former lives? How was their free will removed? How is their obedience enforced? What do they feel about heir forced obedience?

Also, what time period will you be drawing from? A sort of steampunk/gaslamp era (usually Victorian/from he Industrial Revolution to before the 1900s), or futuristic? The fact you're using gears implies the former, though. (The difference between seampunk and gasplamp is that steampunk tends to be more mechanical and relies on more sci fi tropes, while gaslamp is often magic-based and is more fanasyesque)

Those are just a few questions I'd ask myself to start building the starting point, and maybe a bit of history directly leading up to this. Looks like it's a fun project!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:18 am
IamFlamingo says...

I agree with Rosey Unicorn, it sounds fun, but could definitely go either way depending on how it's done; at such an early stage it's hard to tell. I would go with it if you love the idea! The worst that could happen is you don't like how it's going, and you restart, or scrap it later, but at least you should give it a chance. You should never be afraid of making something stupid, I always say. It's all part of the process of making something awesome.

Anyway, a question I had about your plot is if the "master" (for lack of a better word, I guess) is sending the people orders, how much power does he have over whether or not they do them? Like, are they the type of orders people get where they can chose to follow them or not, or are they like somehow physically forced to do them? Just a thought, but otherwise, really cool idea.

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk