z

Young Writers Society

Starting all over...Again.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:44 pm
babymagic18 says...

So I'm thinking I may just have it this time...maybe. I have a rough outline a seriously rough outline, but for now it will do. My only issue now is how to write descriptively in third person. This should be so much fun. Or a serious pain! I have three points of view and little story so yeah that's pretty much the way it usually goes for me. Well if anyone's got advice on my third person pov issue I'd greatly appreciate it.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:10 pm
Rosendorn says...

One does not "need" to write descriptively in third person. Too much needless description is called purple prose— and really should be avoided.

Do note the word "needless" in there. Lots of description can be just fine, so long as it does something. It can set the mood, reveal more about the character, or a whole bunch of things. Do not just stuff description in for the sake of describing something. We really don't need it.

Remember that when you're writing descriptions. Make sure it's doing something other than description.

Also remember that third person can still sound like the character. Third person limited, which is where you're mostly in the point of view character's head, is improved by making them describe things in the character's voice. So one character will describe a room with ten people "crowded" while another (probably more extraverted character) will say it's "perfect" or even "empty."
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:11 pm
Tenyo says...

I have the same problem. Third person just doesn't seem to work for me.

First thing, if you're writing from three different points of view don't forget that the styles need to be different. For example, one could be more sarcastic, another could be very descriptive of sounds and not sights, another could worry over everything, e.c.t.

Main thing, I find if I need to write in third person then I'll write it in first person and edit it. Once I read back and get the hang of what my own natural style of writing looks like in third person then I get a sense of how to do it. Generally though I have to keep going back and writing some in first just to remind myself of how it's done.
We were born to be amazing.

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna