z

Young Writers Society

Schizophrenic Author

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:58 pm
EmmVeePi says...

Over the past several months I have dedicated myself really to three short stories and put countless hours of rewriting and refinement into them. What concerns me is that they are three very very different stories with three very different audiences.

The Last Good Man is an adult fiction short story concerning a homeless man who ends up dying alone in the street on a cold winter night and the (Positive)Legacy he leaves behind. Its audience could be defined(I think) as religious/family

A Heroin Laced Love Story is another adult fiction short but much darker with drug use and language and really very little in the way of positive except for the last paragraph or so. Its audience could be defined as adult/emo/addicts

Finally The Rather Odd Adventures of Daisy is a childrens short in the vein of Dr Seuss which I hope to illustrate at some point. And its audience could be defined as young children(and consequently their parents).

While I am a firm believer in writing what I want and writing what I am inspired to write, I feel as if I am hurting myself by writing all over the spectrum like this. What are your thoughts?

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 pm
MagnusBane says...

I don't see a problem with jumping around. Write whatever you feel like writing, even if that means that you end up working on very different types of stories. Sometimes it's better to write a variety of things, instead of constantly sticking to one genre. Writing only fantasy, for instance, or romance could grow repetitive after a while.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 pm
KatKage says...

Niether do I ^^ I don't write any spesific genre either ^^ (Well, I lean towards fantasy/scifi but leaning ^^)

I write whatever stories come into my head, ya know? ^^ When people say you have to stick to one genre they're being stupid ^^ Writing isn't for the genre; it's for the story, ya know? ^u^

You aren't hurting yourself; you're writing true to your stories ^^

Write what you want; Write for your characters and for your story ^^
I am a Leaf on the Wind,
Watch me Soar
~
Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel,
Kyrie Eleison through darkness of the night

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I actually think you're doing yourself the best service by writing all genres. One common complaint against genre fiction is its tendency to be formula, to be as predictable as the sunrise.

Writing in other genres, reading other genres, that helps break the mould for your own writing. You like this part of Westerns and that part of fantasy, with a dash of film noir and a heavy sprinkling of slice of life. So you write that story, borrowing elements from everywhere, and create something readers think about. That is captivating because the twists aren't from that genre, and you can't find another story like it. Most people would call it "a new twist on the genre" when, really, it's simply putting two or more genres in a blender and pressing the "on" switch.

Write as much as you can. Improve as many genres as you can. The work you put into one genre is far from wasted on the rest of them.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:54 am
confetti says...

I think exploring different types of fiction is a great way to improve your writing, actually. Eventually you'll find the right genre that works well for you, and you'll probably end up sticking to it. Oh maybe you won't. Maybe you enjoy writing different types and mixing it up. There's definitely nothing wrong with writing all over the place! It can't do anything but HELP your writing skills
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
— Pablo Picasso