z

Young Writers Society

Just killed a character

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 am
EmilyofREL says...

You guys. I just killed Anna.

She was one of my first and most favorite characters. Anna is an amazing character...I started using her when I was 8 or 9. She was an imaginary friend played by my 3 foot tall Barbie doll (Just as creepy as it sounds...don't ask, my grandmother bought it for me). She and her brothers and sister, (who were then named Chris, Laura, and Jed at the time instead of Will, Mollie and Jake), attended my one room school house in my basement, were treated in my 1900 children's hospital in the guest room, and I had long, deep conversations with Jed/Jake on his front porch/my bed. The family appeared in some of my first writings when I was about 9 or 10, and on and off when I was a little older.

I forgot about her for a while, and then about 2 or 3 years ago, I grew her up from 7-8 to 15-17, put her in modern times, gave her a personality, a passion, a diagnosis and a boyfriend. I also changed the siblings names. But Anna...had to stay Anna Faith. I've written literally nearly a million words about/from/with Anna in the last 2 years.

And tonight, I came home from walking my dog. I'd been thinking about a letter I would write to celebrate 10 years of knowing my best friend, and began thinking of something similar for Anna's boyfriend to write to her. I got home, typed for over an hour straight, completely ignored my family. and by time I was done, she was dead at the tender age of 33. WHAT?

Assure me that I'm not crazy, like my sister thinks I am. I can't handle all of these feelings!!
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:01 pm
Love says...

;( Will there be a funeral?

(*calls the police*)
I was Amareth :)

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:41 pm
OokamiKitsune says...

You are not crazy. I had to write a death scene for one of my favorite characters and it made me cry. I think it makes someone a better writer if they feel emotional for their characters, it gives a real life feeling to a reader.
Every hello is the prologue to the knowing farewell, so make as many stories as you can:)

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:44 pm
Demeter says...

Sounds like Anna has had an eventful life! Congratulations for following your instincts. ;)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

641 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 641
Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:41 am
Panikos says...

Sometimes a character can do more in death than they can in life, but I hope you aren't too cut up about losing them. :)
The backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done.

~Radical Face

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:19 am
EmilyofREL says...

Aww I knew you guys would understand. I'm hanging on...I wrote a happily ever after to calm down (and am currently waiting on contest results about her death! Wish me luck!)
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu