z

Young Writers Society

The Recycle Bin

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:12 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Every once in a while I come up with an awesome idea for a novel I know I'm never going to write, because it's the wrong genre, style, or maybe just because I know I won't stick with it. Then there's the ideas that I start but lose the passion for and so never finish.

I was thinking we could use this thread to recycle story ideas so that other people can use them.

Aim: Max out the thread with re-usable ideas.

Rules:

#1 Post original ideas only, not borrowed ones.
#2 There's nothing legal in here. It's a free domain so no credit is owed if anything gets published (though it would still be nice.)
3# Be courteous, let someone know if you're using their idea and maybe what your plans are for it, or offer a link to a sample once you've started.

Added Note: If you want exclusive rights to an idea then first you have to *request* it from the original author, and *if* it's granted then they should add [Claimed] to the top of the post.
We were born to be amazing.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:08 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

Ooh, I have one from when I was younger and the police knocked on the door and asked if we had lost a snake (which was found in the neighbour's house xD):

My younger self wrote:Murder Mystery - Someone dies from multiple snake bites. Initially it seems that it is the partner who was the killer as they were involved with snakes, but there is a possibility they may have been framed.

560 Reviews

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:09 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Scrap Idea:
This is one I thought up a while ago but I never really found use for, and haven't developed any further.

It's a novel about what are called Shadow People. In a world of record and surveillance, where everybody is somewhere and there's always someone watching them, the hippyish people of the future rebel.

From deep in the shadows comes a string of unorthorised births, some that date up to three generations back and the number growing. These people have their fingerprints burned off as infants, constantly move around and live by all kinds of illegal matters.

The plot of the novel is that the government finally become aware of this issue and start a nationwide campaign to find and 'indoctrinate' these people back into normal society. The issue escalates, penalties are dished out, it leads to the death penalty and eventually the murder of any unregistered children.

The protagonists are different small circles of people from various ages and ethnicities who are all trying to stay alive during this period that comes to be known as "The Purge."

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:09 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

Man, I have notebooks stuffed full of ideas I never took anywhere. From fleshed-out stories that eventually got abandoned, to single lines of dialogue with nowhere to live.

I'll stick to just throwing out a couple for now, lest y'all be buried in the deluge...

• In an alternate history of our own world, magic and specifically necromancy are real, but not widely known about. They have been used successfully in warfare, despite some controversies.

The setting is modern day. England is at war with France - again. As a pesky reporter starts getting too close to the truth, a top-ranking necromancer general must deal with xem - but that gets trickier when xe realises xe's falling for the headstrong newshound.

• In this universe, magic exists. Those who possess magical talent are divided into two groups - the Sources, who have an innate store of power (of varying strength from person to person), but are unable to put it to much use, and the Users, who can draw power from a Source and put it to use, but have no innate power store of their own. Partnerships with good teamwork are the obvious way for this to be used effectively - but what happens when you add the ambitious and unscrupulous into the equation?

• And finally... In this aircraft hangar, you can cross the borders between worlds. This one, that one, all the parallel ones, you can cross back and forth as you like - but if you cross the line at the far end, you'll be in the next one - and there's no coming back from there.
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:42 am
View Likes
Stori says...

Okay, I have an idea that might be useful.

There are people called dusklings who are invisible to human eyes- until now. (That's all; you'll have to flesh it out.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:51 am
View Likes
PenguinsAreFly says...

Ok, here's one I had for a while: It's about a kid who is obsessed with Batman. Aged around 15-21 (Depending on the age, there can be a variety of different story lines you can follow). He decides to make his own costume and fight crime. On his first night out he accidentally kills his next door neighbor who was caught in the middle of a confrontation in the city. The story is basically about him trying to deal with the guilt and daily reminder of his neighbor while pondering the use of a true superhero in the real world. I could never get it started because I couldn't decide on a bunch of different elements of the character. So this one is fair game.

560 Reviews

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:11 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Till Death Due Us Part

A man and a woman meet in a support group for patients who are terminally ill with a disease. They get talking and realise both are alone without families, and both have only three months to live.

So they decide together to make the most of what time they have left and write a bucket list. They do all kinds of crazy stuff, quite literally 'living like it's their last day on earth,' including going to a festival, getting fired on purpose, getting married, all that stuff. They finally accept that they're going to die, but at least they're not dying alone.

Then they both recieve news one day that a cure has been found, which is great because they're not going to die. But now they have to face the consequences not just of living, but of living together.

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan